Fence checking through the eyes of Lil' HOSS

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
This afternoon I took Little HOSS out on the UTV checking fences. He was riding shotgun and playing with my Blackberry. They figure out young how to work electronic gadgets.....he took a couple of pictures from his point of view.
IMG00533-20120207-1641.jpg

IMG00534-20120207-1644.jpg

They learn fast don't they . Yesterday my 4 year old was playing a game on my phone . I didn't even know my phone had games lol.

Fess up! Those fences look in great shape. "Checking fence" was just an excuse to go for a ride on the machine with Lil Hoss. Good for you dad, check 'em again tomorrow.

JSCATTLE":1l356pxb said:
They learn fast don't they . Yesterday my 4 year old was playing a game on my phone . I didn't even know my phone had games lol.

Little HOSS is also 4. He surfs the net, plays Minecraft on-line and can go through several levels on the wii playing Toy Story. I can't get Woody off the train on the 1st level. He has a video that he watches every day or two that is a training video on how to operate various heavy equipment...............he knows how to start and run a bulldozer, backhoe, trackhoe and tractor. He tells me how to operate the loader on the tractor when he helps me put out hay. At his age their minds are like sponges and information is like water. I forget my own phone number half the time.

MO_cows":1pu34aha said:
Fess up! Those fences look in great shape. "Checking fence" was just an excuse to go for a ride on the machine with Lil Hoss. Good for you dad, check 'em again tomorrow.

:lol2: you got me.....nice day, sunny and 55 degrees, fences were begging to be checked :mrgreen:

Do you have a grounds crew or what? Your fence rows are way too clean. :lol:

HOSS":1xg23ij8 said:
...........he knows how to start and run a bulldozer, backhoe, trackhoe and tractor. .
:shock: :help:

That looks far too neat, I was going to suggest that lil' Hoss finds something "in need of a nail" and submits his pic for our photo contest but that looks unlikely :D

Thanks for the compliments folks. I am sorta proud of my place. Allot of blood, sweat and tears....and money :cry: went into getting it in shape. When I bought it it was an old, overgrown row crop farm that had not been worked in years. There was no fencing around most of it and the old fencing that was on it was torn down, rusted or grown into the trees it was nailed to. The fields were all covered in briars, small saplings and weeds. There was an old, dilapidated house on it that had been a favorite hang-out for vandals and drug users. The first order of business was to clean the fields up, disc them over and re-sow fescue. Then I cut a 40' wide path through a couple thousand feet of very dense woods to run a good fence down (this was pre-bulldozer days for me) I had all kinds of excitement with this chore between the copperheads, yellowjackets and hornets. Once I had put up about 5,000 feet of perimeter fence I was able to move some cows on the place and put up a small hay barn. I tore down the old house and spent 10 months building my house on the same lot. I dug two ponds the first year and cleared some more wooded land. The next year I cross-fenced with hot high tensile. Two years ago I cleared out 4 acres of woods that had grown up in an old lake that was built in the 1960's but had sprung a leak in the late 70's and drained out. I reworked part of the levy and put in an overflow. Right now it is almost full of water (you can see it in the second pic) but the levy still has a small leak underneath. I built a bigger 40'x60' barn this past fall and built several nice matching gates out of some heavy, thick walled 2" galvanized pipe. My grounds crew consists of myself, my retired father and plenty of round-up with a sprayer. I figure I have another 5 years of getting after it before I have it mostly where I want it........but the maintenance will never end. I may have to hire some of Jogeephus's helpers when he gets slow :lol:

man hoss your place looks great.an lil hoss has a good eye for taking pics.an it just amazes me at how fast they learn to use the gadgets.