Fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

gulfso

Reaction score
Not a beginner but sure feel like one. I have two chargers that are just not putting out. The problem seems to be something in the ground. When the ground is not connected I get a full pulse (6000 v). As soon as the wire is connected to the ground rod..200v. I have added a second ground rod and new connectors and no change. All connections are tight and secure. Since it has been dry I even watered in the ground rods just to make sure they are getting a good ground connection on that end. Using a plastic coated ground wire (aluminum) that is pretty heavy and have had both chargers checked and both are said to be fine. Any help or advice is appreciated. Tired of chasing cows :dunce:

Check your fence line for bad insulators or a place gone to ground that you have missed. Look very close and make sure that the line is ok. I have changed chargers (I have several) on occasion because I thought one had gone bad only to find I had a dead short in the line somewhere. After you are sure the line is ok and the charger still isn't working like it should, try a new charger.

I've found that the electrical fence chargers I use have a "shelf life" They use a capacitor to generate the high voltage pulse, and over time the caps will "wear out". I suspect that might be your problem. Have you had the charger for a while?

You must have a gorund or a short soemwhere in your fence. Do you have two stands of wire running horisaontally with more than one vertical wire connecting them to each other. Hoep that makes sence. That can casue a short cause it casuees the electricity to double back on itself and shorts it self out like sending a charge out around a circle from one spot in each direction and it meats at the opposite side and hits and dies. look for a wire touching somewhere or a wire that has slipped out of an insulator. Cause if you get the normal voltage without having it groudned it must mean it is grounded somehwere else and if you add a ground it drops in charge there definatiley is a gorund or short soemwhere.

Test your fencer with ground hooked up and take lead wire off of fence from fencer and test the output of charger that way. If you have a good charge there then you have missed something along the fence. Sometimes an older insulator will crack causing a short. Good Luck I hate it when fencer is not working.

Jeff

Latest posts