• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

feedlot preference

A

Anonymous

Guest
Exactly what are the buyers looking for that they send to the feedlots ? Medium carcass ? Are some of the cattle that are too large frame not bringing good money ? More meat on medium frame ? Will your calves bring more money being the same type and more uniform ? These are things that I assume from listening to different comments. I don't want to waste my time and money running in the wrong direction ! Would love some advice from some of you folks that are close to the business. Thanks , I love reading these boards.
 

Cattle Rack Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
1,605
Reaction score
0
Location
Manitoba, Canada
It probably varies from place to place but the buyers here love nothing better than to load up a semi-trailer full of blacks and black baldies of consistent size and build. Alot of smaller farmers with similar herds are combining their calf crops in order to make a truckload.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
The buyers around here want muscle score 1 and high 2, large medium to medium large frame. Black or black baldy generally get a preference. But if they're red and are top quality calves that meet their requirements the sell as well as the blacks.
Pretty much they want calves that will finish around 1100 lbs and grade high choice to prime with a YG of 1 or 2 and maybe barely 3.

dun

Anita":1b9r6nx6 said:
Exactly what are the buyers looking for that they send to the feedlots ? Medium carcass ? Are some of the cattle that are too large frame not bringing good money ? More meat on medium frame ? Will your calves bring more money being the same type and more uniform ? These are things that I assume from listening to different comments. I don't want to waste my time and money running in the wrong direction ! Would love some advice from some of you folks that are close to the business. Thanks , I love reading these boards.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Dun,
Aren't 1450# cattle worth more money still than 1100#? I don't understand your math. Don't tell me the economic advantages of cattle that finish at 1100# because you must include genetic make up in any equasion and I can make 1450# cattle do the same. Isn't the 1100# number where your cattle finish ?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Typically a 1450 animal takes a lot longer on feed to get finished, there are more dollars in the feed in that 1450 lb animal. But the real key in the US anyway is "fitting the box". They want beef that falls into fairly strict size limits. The ribeye needs to fall into a range that a 1 lb steak is 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Those heavier carcass will more frequently be outside of that range.

dun

Ollie":3ebku6vh said:
Dun,
Aren't 1450# cattle worth more money still than 1100#? I don't understand your math. Don't tell me the economic advantages of cattle that finish at 1100# because you must include genetic make up in any equasion and I can make 1450# cattle do the same. Isn't the 1100# number where your cattle finish ?
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
0
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
dun":37kmo8px said:
Typically a 1450 animal takes a lot longer on feed to get finished, there are more dollars in the feed in that 1450 lb animal. But the real key in the US anyway is "fitting the box". They want beef that falls into fairly strict size limits. The ribeye needs to fall into a range that a 1 lb steak is 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Those heavier carcass will more frequently be outside of that range.

dun
that size of Rib-Eyes are sold only in restaurants
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Then the industry must be slotting towards that trade, that's the standard they shoot for. At least it was a year and a half ago when we had a meeting with a couple of packers.
Around here that's also the size the grocery store and meat markets sell. I haven't been to an "upscale" restaurant or steak house in many years but as I understood it they wanted the larger ribeyes.

dun


A. delaGarza":32xd68u6 said:
dun":32xd68u6 said:
Typically a 1450 animal takes a lot longer on feed to get finished, there are more dollars in the feed in that 1450 lb animal. But the real key in the US anyway is "fitting the box". They want beef that falls into fairly strict size limits. The ribeye needs to fall into a range that a 1 lb steak is 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Those heavier carcass will more frequently be outside of that range.

dun
that size of Rib-Eyes are sold only in restaurants
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Dun
They don't discount till 1450# live weight so that is the upper limit on "the box". You may not want to admit it however for factual iformation
you will have to admit big cattle bring more money. Of course big cattle take longer to finish since we feed them to finish. Small cattle quit sooner is the way I see it. As long as your feeding them for less than you sell them for you are still making money. I have also fed big cattle that out graded small cattle. It is also trickey when feeding those little pug headed steers not to get too much rine on them. Y4 is also a discount.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
In our case the calves have been finsihing at around 14 months at around 1100. High choice yg 2's but one pen went 3. The feedlot said not to worry about the pen of 3s since they had held them off a little longer then they had planned or should have. Ribeyes ran 13 to 14.3. The feedlot had a lot less in them then heavy weights.
I agree small cattle quit sooner, that's the reason or marketing group cuts at large medium to medium large. The last bunch that went out in January, 4 1/2 potloads all brought 6 weight prices for 8 weight calves. We had 5 bids them and all of the bids except one fell within a couple of cents a hundred of each other.

dun


Ollie":25zpr3nv said:
Dun
They don't discount till 1450# live weight so that is the upper limit on "the box". You may not want to admit it however for factual iformation
you will have to admit big cattle bring more money. Of course big cattle take longer to finish since we feed them to finish. Small cattle quit sooner is the way I see it. As long as your feeding them for less than you sell them for you are still making money. I have also fed big cattle that out graded small cattle. It is also trickey when feeding those little pug headed steers not to get too much rine on them. Y4 is also a discount.
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
0
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
yeap, you're right the industry is demendaing what it is consumed, bigger area Rib-Eyes will be more expensive because they weight more than 1 lb. if 3/4-1 inch thick is considered.

dun":485qeagg said:
Then the industry must be slotting towards that trade, that's the standard they shoot for. At least it was a year and a half ago when we had a meeting with a couple of packers.
Around here that's also the size the grocery store and meat markets sell. I haven't been to an "upscale" restaurant or steak house in many years but as I understood it they wanted the larger ribeyes.

dun


A. delaGarza":485qeagg said:
dun":485qeagg said:
Typically a 1450 animal takes a lot longer on feed to get finished, there are more dollars in the feed in that 1450 lb animal. But the real key in the US anyway is "fitting the box". They want beef that falls into fairly strict size limits. The ribeye needs to fall into a range that a 1 lb steak is 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Those heavier carcass will more frequently be outside of that range.

dun
that size of Rib-Eyes are sold only in restaurants
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I still don't understand are you guys saying that there is some unknown discount that is making you use cattle that quit at 1100#? Rib eyes too large at 16.5 sq in?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Anita,

The number one thing that determines the profitability of feeding cattle is first and foremost, that the cattle don't get sick. So, healthy cattle with healthy immune systems is the most important. Yes, that is hard to tell by looking.

Feedlot buyers buy with their eyes,so if the cattle look healthy and have reasonable confirmation, that is what they want.

Yes, some do try and buy black hided cattle, those buyers who are less knowlegable. Black hides mean nothing.
 

Frankie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
6,915
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
John S.":azh4fbg5 said:
Anita,
The number one thing that determines the profitability of feeding cattle is first and foremost, that the cattle don't get sick. So, healthy cattle with healthy immune systems is the most important. Yes, that is hard to tell by looking.
Feedlot buyers buy with their eyes,so if the cattle look healthy and have reasonable confirmation, that is what they want.
Yes, some do try and buy black hided cattle, those buyers who are less knowlegable. Black hides mean nothing.

"Black hides mean nothing." Except more money in the pocket of the seller. That's worth something....
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
that depends on youre marketing ability. you guys will soon find youreselves behind the power curve
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ollie":1ut1g81p said:
Dun,
Aren't 1450# cattle worth more money still than 1100#? I don't understand your math. Don't tell me the economic advantages of cattle that finish at 1100# because you must include genetic make up in any equasion and I can make 1450# cattle do the same. Isn't the 1100# number where your cattle finish ?

Ollie, it depends on the age of the calf.....if he/she is 15 mos old and weighs 1100 lbs vs. 1450 lbs you will earn a nickel or more with the 1450 lbs calf.
 

PATB

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Location
Turner Maine
I ask the Question "what is your ideal feeder to buy" of a buyer/feedlot owner last december at the maine beef conference. The answer I got was a 800 LB black baldy that has been exposed to everything under the sun and has survived with with a greasy look under 1 year of age. The reason behind this is as following; black hide nets him 12$ a head to enter the packing plant, more if it meets the CAB or other premium markets. 800 LB because hed will not have his money tied up as long, fat/greasy look means the have been fed and are growing and will winter well in his vermont feedlot. The Ideal spring calf is 400 lbs black and skinny and will grow when put out on quality pasture netting him cheap gain. He will not buy charlais because they will not hold up in his feed lot and prefers less then 50% continental influnce. The market in the north east rewards the high percentage black angus since that is what the major packer wants and pays a premium for.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
John S.":2hfcgflr said:
Anita,

The number one thing that determines the profitability of feeding cattle is first and foremost, that the cattle don't get sick. So, healthy cattle with healthy immune systems is the most important. Yes, that is hard to tell by looking.

Feedlot buyers buy with their eyes,so if the cattle look healthy and have reasonable confirmation, that is what they want.

Yes, some do try and buy black hided cattle, those buyers who are less knowlegable. Black hides mean nothing.
There sure an awful lot of those LESS KNOWLEDGEABLE BUYERS out buying cattle for the MAJOR FEEDERS and MAJOR PACKERS everyday.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
right now the us cow inventory is down , all they require is four legs and a rumenant.
 

Latest posts

Top