Feedlot Capacity And Long-Term Profitability

Help Support CattleToday:

They say the beef herds are at the lowwest numbers in 50 years. So that means high prices for feeders and fats, even with high grain prices, which uselly spells disastor for beef prices.

Good Article

Edited: Just looked up Feeder and Live Cattle prices on the board and it is up to $130 for feeders and $112 for live. That is up 82% from last year for feeders and up 81% for Live cattle

At the local sale barn the feeders are going for $1.25-1.45 for 400-500lbs steers, and $1.10-$1.15 for 1000-1100lbs Steers
:shock: WOW! SELL THE FARM!!!!...LOL

If prices stay like this i'm going to buy some dirt cheap cows just to have calves, but that is going to be hard to cause even slaughter cows are going for a lot...sold a old cow for $225 a lot more then i've ever got for slaughter cows in her conidtion.

We have seen high feeder prices before, but I can't ever recall the industry being paid for weight like it is now. If you have grass to take the feeders to 750 lbs you can get close to $900 a head with a little marketing. A $1000 cow will pay for herself with two calves at that level.