feeding whole cottonseed

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
The gins are cranking up next week here in south central texas. I was thinking on trying to feed whole cotton seed to my cows like my pop did in the 50s. Dont know how many pounds a day and if hay is needed.

start off with 3 or 4 pounds and see how they handle it - you don't mention what the purpose of the feeding program is. yes, they will need hay.........

trying to out last this dry spell,feeding cows and calves. my brahma crosses wile eat any thing they can reach.
been pushing mesquite trees over a while now so they can get to the leaves. The 50s drouth ended here in oct,might end this one in oct also.

I feed whole cotton seed last winter. Gave them a tractor bucket full every other day if it was warmish, every day if it was cold. They won't eat to much. They'll stop when they are full. You could also put some bagged salt mixed in with it when you feed it. It will slow them down and they won't eat as much.

circlew":3gsfbg55 said:
I feed whole cotton seed last winter. Gave them a tractor bucket full every other day if it was warmish, every day if it was cold. They won't eat to much. They'll stop when they are full. You could also put some bagged salt mixed in with it when you feed it. It will slow them down and they won't eat as much.
When they get FULL or RUN OUT of seed?? :shock:

I fed cotton gin waste during the 2007/2008 drought here. I got by but I was not satisfied with my results. If I had a "do over" I would have done differently. I had no prior experience feeding cotton byproducts. The cattle had a full gut but the young heifers did not do very well. Range cubes are not sold in the area I live. The overall diet that I was feeding was lacking even with the limited amount of peanut hay that I brought in. Keep the mineral supplement available and try to locate someone with experience regarding cotton gin waste feeding and draw from their knowledge. Good Luck.

Texasbred- either way. We have been feeding cotton seed over this way as long as I can remember. If you gave them a pile of seed they would quit when they got full. If you gave them enough for them to eat at one sitting they would finish it. Just got to learn how much your cows will eat before they stop.

circlew":2rt79huq said:
Texasbred- either way. We have been feeding cotton seed over this way as long as I can remember. If you gave them a pile of seed they would quit when they got full. If you gave them enough for them to eat at one sitting they would finish it. Just got to learn how much your cows will eat before they stop.
I've fed a lot of WCS as well and agreed most quit when they get full....I just couldn't afford to feed at that rate.... 4 to 5 lbs. per head per day should be adequate for beef cows. Good link Cross_7.

I have two six month old calves that I am feeding free choice water/hay/mineral/salt, and six pounds of calve starter/one pound cotton seed for both calves to share. They are fat, slick skin just shines and are happy. Is there anything I am missing? Advice is always welcomed.

The WCS will do great. The gin trash is filler and will help alot. i feed 3-400,000 lbs a year of it. If you have access to a module builder and a backhoe you can build trash modules and tarp with throw away tarps and have protected roughage.

agmantoo":2x49lun0 said:
I fed cotton gin waste during the 2007/2008 drought here. I got by but I was not satisfied with my results. If I had a "do over" I would have done differently. I had no prior experience feeding cotton byproducts. The cattle had a full gut but the young heifers did not do very well. Range cubes are not sold in the area I live. The overall diet that I was feeding was lacking even with the limited amount of peanut hay that I brought in. Keep the mineral supplement available and try to locate someone with experience regarding cotton gin waste feeding and draw from their knowledge. Good Luck.

I use gin trash
I am surprised your heifers LIVED on just straight gin trash.
In a pinch a cow will survive on it- add some protein and they actually do ok

kerley":1kdvw1n5 said:
I have two six month old calves that I am feeding free choice water/hay/mineral/salt, and six pounds of calve starter/one pound cotton seed for both calves to share. They are fat, slick skin just shines and are happy. Is there anything I am missing? Advice is always welcomed.
They should be gaining pretty well on that ration.

I fed it last year. I would give about 4 to 5 pounds per head per day, and my cattle did great with hay of course. I have a 98% conception rate this year which is the best I have ever had, and I noticed milk production was up considerably. It was hard for my calves to drink her dry because the bags were so big. I calve in the fall/winter. The year before I used Corn Gluten, and they made it through the winter, but it is not like using cotton seed. This year I plan to mix a ration with Corn Gluten/ Soy hull pellets, but I am going to have to put a bit of cotton seed in to help with the fat content. It just did that good in helping out on the milk production. I will cut back to about 2 pounds a day of WCS with the mix. Good luck over there in the drought.

HDRider":b3zilpas said:
cross_7":b3zilpas said:
Potential for Gossypol Toxicity When Feeding Whole Cottonseed to Beef Cattle
Gossypol and Bull Fertility

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an130

Reading that link, I think I will stay away from cottonseed.
Limiting intake to 4-6 lbs. per head per day vitually eliminates any possiblity of Gossypol Poisoning.

Latest posts