feeding wheat midlens

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I have a supply of wheat midlens and was wondering if it makes a good supplement to winter cows ? Does anybody know the nutrients of it before I get it tested? how much do you feed? Can i feed it straight or do i need to mix it with some corn?

RAWCJW":25z543s2 said:
I have a supply of wheat midlens and was wondering if it makes a good supplement to winter cows ? Does anybody know the nutrients of it before I get it tested? how much do you feed? Can i feed it straight or do i need to mix it with some corn?

Wheat Middlings are a great ingredient and most feeds will contain midds...some have huge amounts, some not so many....but I've never fed straight midds to cattle. Typical analysis will run about 15% protein, 3.5% fat and 9% fiber. No need to spend money on a test....Not a bad supplement.... just don't overfeed and they should do you a good job. Be sure and give the cattle a good mineral at all times.

Thanks Dun Good printout for my file. I,m still learning. Is there somewhere that shows exact nutritional requirements for cows/and feedlot steers or is that just experiance? Ive been feeding gluten/ground corn in the past with good results just off what others are telling me. I,d like to know more about mixing up these rations but I am small scale so all help is appreciated. :tiphat:

RAWCJW":1ntkor5b said:
Is there somewhere that shows exact nutritional requirements for cows/and feedlot steers or is that just experiance? Ive been feeding gluten/ground corn in the past with good results just off what others are telling me. I,d like to know more about mixing up these rations but I am small scale so all help is appreciated. :tiphat:

This is all I've ever been able to find.
Something to keep in mind is that corn gluten is either real high or real low in something, don;t remember what, and normally limestone or dical type stuff is included in a mixture to conteract it.

RAWCJW":1m72dmh2 said:
Thanks Dun Good printout for my file. I,m still learning. Is there somewhere that shows exact nutritional requirements for cows/and feedlot steers or is that just experiance? Ive been feeding gluten/ground corn in the past with good results just off what others are telling me. I,d like to know more about mixing up these rations but I am small scale so all help is appreciated. :tiphat:

RAW if you're smalltime as you said, mixing may not be the best nor the least expensive route. Pretty labor intensive and a lot of shrink when you're buying bulk and trying to mix your own. The ingredients you mention are all good ingredients but need to be mixed properly as well. CGF is high in phosphorus and potassium.

RAWCJW":9co9cg7l said:

Because of a severe drought I am currently feeding huge amounts of wheat midlings. It was pretty much a trial and error scenario along with talking to a few old timers, but I mix as follows:

11 parts midlings
6 parts molasses meal
4 parts salt
1 part hydrated lime

With this mix accidosis is eliminated, that is usually the main concern with any wheat derived products. The reason for hydrated lime instead of normal feed quality lime is the hydrated lime works in the small intestines while the feedquality lime concentrates in the rumen. Why exactly this is the case I don't know, but a few vets has confirmed this.

You could always replace the molasses meal with a mix of liquid molasses and straw, it helps with palatibility and keeps the ration from being very dusty.

My cattle has eaten just this mix and tree leafs for over two months now with no other form of grazing or roughage and they are doing well on it, wet cows are maintaining their body condition and dry cows are gaining on this. The biggest advantage seems that the calves seem to stay on par with calves raised under normal conditions.

If you have any other questions please ask or pm me.

RAW if you're smalltime as you said, mixing may not be the best nor the least expensive route. Pretty labor intensive and a lot of shrink when you're buying bulk and trying to mix your own. The ingredients you mention are all good ingredients but need to be mixed properly as well. CGF is high in phosphorus and potassium.[/quote]
I have a supply of midlens I am getting for nothing, I have 12 head of cattle.and I can get gluten/cracked corn bulk 1 ton at a time not free of course. so you can see why I want to use the middlens. I currently finish out 2-4 steers at a time. Thanks for all the replys