Feeding program

Help Support CattleToday:

partimer

Reaction score
I was just wondering from you small timers like me what you guys feed in the winter, spring, summer, and fall. I have 18 cows and feed hay and mineral and a moormans protein tub right now.

12 cows and pretty much the same treatment.
Grass season they get minerals and straight forage.
I do rotten em'up to with some range cubes every now and again for handling ease.
I'm down to few bales and hoping for some grass growing weather right now.
Had some decent spurts of rye, but no real solid growth yet.
Should start calving this weekend.
Would love to see some warm sunnys.

We run a small herd also and strictly grass-fed other than a bucket treat of grain now and then to get them friendly and for ease of calling them in or moving them around. They have free access to mineral and all the hay they can eat in winter.

edit: we also give them protein tubs

I have 20 cows and feed good hay free choice, free choice mineral, 24%protein/5%fat tubs free choice, and I feed grain twice a week (2 - 5 gallon bucket fulls). The herd seems to be doing good on this. I feed 12% protein feed. The make up is: 600 lb corn, 125 lb distillers grain and 10 lb of an antibiotic (Myacin). The tubs were bought as the winter seems to be dragging. I put out two tubs for more body condition going into calving season.

40 mama cows 14 heaifers & 2 rented bulls coming in a couple of weeks. Have about 35 calves of various sizes. Hay, 25% protein tubs (I calve in Dec & Jan) and free choice mineral. I use feed and range cubes for the same reasons you guys do. At weaning time I bunk feed the calves for 45 days.

Hay in winter along with mineral tubs & loose minerals, Down to 1.5 bales right now. This year i planted rye grass in late Sept. Had to turn them loose earlier than i wanted to because of the rainy winter. there back in the dry 5 acre pasture eating hay. 6 momma cows 3 calfes 1 bull
Summer they get green grass, mineral tubs & loose minerals. an occasion 12% protein to keep them easy to handle. :cowboy:

I have 6 and they get pasture in the summer, hay in winter. They get alfalfa pellets as a treat or when I want them to go in the barn for handling. They get a salt block..probably should have some type of mineral program but never have and they seem to be just fine.

Well I thought I was doing what I was supposed to with basically the same as all of you, but came home to another down cow today. The way its been going she will not make it either. Second one this year. So I called the vet and he said I also need to be feeding 3 lbs/hd/day of cubes or if I feed every other day it can be 5 lbs. Guess I need to do something like that.

partimer":16sbqooq said:
Well I thought I was doing what I was supposed to with basically the same as all of you, but came home to another down cow today. The way its been going she will not make it either. Second one this year. So I called the vet and he said I also need to be feeding 3 lbs/hd/day of cubes or if I feed every other day it can be 5 lbs. Guess I need to do something like that.

Not argueing with your vet. If you feed grass, hay and minerals this is all a cow should need.
Now for the real question is your hay so poor they need to be supplemented, do you have a management problem
of heavy parasite infestation robbing your cattle of nutrients. Do you have a shelter? Simple as a loafing shed or a thicket for protection. Cows can take cold , rain, cold and wind raise there energy requirements astronomically.
Cow standing at the hay ring bowed up and feeding is in trouble.
Going back in the day we managed cows a lot different than today as we didn't feed hay or anything, cows had to survive in the woods. We lost cattle I can still hear my Dad or Uncle's saying that old cow ain't going to make it this winter and didn't. Now we had some tough cows geneticaly as only the very strongest survived as the good Lord intended. On a second note we didn't have the quality of cattle we do today and the old timers could never unterstand you can't starve profit into a cow. Today the trend has reversed and I see people trying to feed profit into a cow out of a sack and you can't do that either.