Feeding ground ear corn

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Should I add extra protein to ground ear corn . Will be feeding cows with young calves . They also have free choice grass hay . Will start corn when weather turns cold and disagreeable . What would you recommend on amount per head to feed . Thanks for your replies .

rjbovine":8t5x0t64 said:
Should I add extra protein to ground ear corn . Will be feeding cows with young calves . They also have free choice grass hay . Will start corn when weather turns cold and disagreeable . What would you recommend on amount per head to feed . Thanks for your replies .
The cob will have around 4% protein, corn around 9.9%. You will need 70 pounds of ear corn for a bushel. So you will have about a 8.72% protein. That may not help much but I'm not a cow calf man.

inbredredneck":3qgzmlp8 said:
rjbovine":3qgzmlp8 said:
The cob will have around 4% protein, corn around 9.9%. You will need 70 pounds of ear corn for a bushel. So you will have about a 8.72% protein. That may not help much but I'm not a cow calf man.
Use the information that inbredredneck provided. Then get your hay tested since that will be your base feed. A cow nursing a calf needs a ration that will be 12 to 13 percent crude protein. How much protein that needs to be added to the ground ear corn will depend on the quality of the hay. How much to feed depends on cow weight and body condition score. Figure that the cow will eat 2 to 2.5 percent of her body weight each day.

inbredredneck":15dv1152 said:
rjbovine":15dv1152 said:

Just wandering how you got this number? Since I have been here I have learned that there is a lot more science to raising cattle then I thought or have ever seen used.

thendrix":2q1pumxb said:
inbredredneck":2q1pumxb said:
rjbovine":2q1pumxb said:

Just wandering how you got this number? Since I have been here I have learned that there is a lot more science to raising cattle then I thought or have ever seen used.
years of on site trials, and just recently testing some of this years corn more than anything.

Thanks inbred but I ment what kind of formula did you use to find 8.72 number? BTW good to see you are still around

thendrix":2jv38qko said:
Thanks inbred but I ment what kind of formula did you use to find 8.72 number? BTW good to see you are still around
You just have to remember that there are 3 components to an ear of corn. The shuck or husk as some call it, the grain and the cob. Each has a different nutrient value for protein as well as other things. Knowing these and what % of the whole each represents allows you to calculate the weighted average of the crude protein. I use numbers different from those IBN used but the end result is not much different. I'd calculate the protein for the ground ear corn at 7.8% to 8% overall and use that to balance with teh hay and any additional supplement you might need. If your hay is low quality you'll definitely want to add a protein supplement to the ground ear corn.

TexasBred":3c4xpqei said:
You just have to remember that there are 3 components to an ear of corn. The shuck or husk as some call it, the grain and the cob.
T Bred I should have mentioned that all our corn picked clean this year, and shelled severely at the head. So any ear corn here is without husk. I would guess 4 to 7 bushels remained in every field via harvest loss at the header.

thendrix":f84rx1vl said:
inbredredneck":f84rx1vl said:
rjbovine":f84rx1vl said:

56 @ 9.9 = 554.4 14 @ 4 = 56 554.4 + 56 = 610.40

610.40 = 70 = 8.72%

Latest posts