Feeding grain cost

Help Support CattleToday:

rufun2sun

Reaction score
Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

1.10 per head per day for 5lbs of feed and 2lbs shell corn to some 7wt heifers I'm going to AI in about 50 days.

rufun2sun":26gsfbyo said:
Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

Its costing me avg of 150.00 per week for 16-35 tons per week.

Well I first needed a plough, and a tractor... disks, harrows and a land leveler. A grain drill, a roller. Fertilizer spreader. And a Sprayer. Combine, grain cart, grain bin, auger, feed mill, and bunks. And finally a few buckets to feed it to them.

All and all I can't be in for more than half a mill?

skyhightree1":39kg4gwr said:
rufun2sun":39kg4gwr said:

What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.

True Grit Farms":3gdv3rur said:
skyhightree1":3gdv3rur said:
rufun2sun":3gdv3rur said:

What the dry matter and TDN? We have a produce farm that charges $25 a ton for cull carrots and I'm better off feeding what I have. The percentage of dry matter and TDN is the the way to measure feed.

The only grain I feed is brewers grain.. Here is the average analysis if you can make sense of it. I only know its truly helped me out tremendously.

http://www.csc-world.com/products-commo ... -analysis/

True Grit Farms":2ukoropn said:
skyhightree1":2ukoropn said:
rufun2sun":2ukoropn said:

True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.

shaz":3j0tk72h said:
True Grit Farms":3j0tk72h said:
skyhightree1":3j0tk72h said:

True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.

I feed bread by dump truck loads to pigs... I feed it because I like it for the flavors the meats have with the mixes I make with it not for the feed analysis.

skyhightree1":x5kdzf6a said:
shaz":x5kdzf6a said:
True Grit Farms":x5kdzf6a said:

True,

I feed bread by dump truck loads to pigs... I feed it because I like it for the flavors the meats have with the mixes I make with it not for the feed analysis.
I'd like to feed just grass and hay, but I can't grow 14% hay for the wet cows. For me I think hay would be the cheapest and easiest feed option. I believe we make raising cattle harder than it needs to be. Messing with feed and hay seems like I'm spinning my wheels half of the time.

rufun2sun":3qfsfdl7 said:
Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger... I'm at $1.26 per day per head.
I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?
Feeding steers or cows?
$3.92 bu corn = 7 cents lb
18 lbs corn = $1.26 per day/hd
6:1 grain conversion = Steers gaining 3 lbs per day..... yupper they should be getting big.

No way you're feeding 18 lbs of grain/day to cows?
Are you?

rufun2sun":2yz8y7t3 said:

What are you feeding, and how much?

shaz":lfddgpbf said:
True Grit Farms":lfddgpbf said:
skyhightree1":lfddgpbf said:

True,
Don't worry about dry matter. That matters only if you're doing a comparative analysis of multiple products with large differences in moisture content. WE buy on an as fed basis, we formulate on an as fed basis and we feed on an as fed basis. No way around it.

TexasBred":34zdkrwd said:
shaz":34zdkrwd said:
True Grit Farms":34zdkrwd said:

True,
Don't worry about dry matter. That matters only if you're doing a comparative analysis of multiple products with large differences in moisture content. WE buy on an as fed basis, we formulate on an as fed basis and we feed on an as fed basis. No way around it.
If you would I'd like you to expand on that some TB. I've been trying to figure out an easy way to know my feed cost and the value from the trucking to the pounds gain at the end feeding stockers. And dry matter and TDN seem to work hand in hand.
A ton of ground corn and cotton seed mix is roughly 90% dry matter = 1800lbs. And at 90%TDN, that equates to 1620 lbs of actual feed?
A ton of Brewers grain is 25% dry matter = 500 lbs. And at 70% TDN = 350 lbs of actual feed?
Assuming that protein, fats and starches are comparable, you'd need to feed 5 tons Brewers grain to equal 1 ton of corn and cotton seed? What am I missing?

True Grit Farms":8q5sx85t said:
TexasBred":8q5sx85t said:
shaz":8q5sx85t said:
True,
If you would I'd like you to expand on that some TB. I've been trying to figure out an easy way to know my feed cost and the value from the trucking to the pounds gain at the end feeding stockers. And dry matter and TDN seem to work hand in hand.
A ton of ground corn and cotton seed mix is roughly 90% dry matter = 1800lbs. And at 90%TDN, that equates to 1620 lbs of actual feed?
A ton of Brewers grain is 25% dry matter = 500 lbs. And at 70% TDN = 350 lbs of actual feed?
Assuming that protein, fats and starches are comparable, you'd need to feed 5 tons Brewers grain to equal 1 ton of corn and cotton seed? What am I missing?
You didn't miss anything. The nutrition is simply not there in the high moisture feed to compare with the other feed. You're feeding a huge amount of water. The very reason folks feeding silage have to feed 50 lbs. of silage to get the nutrition in 16-18 lbs. of hay. But it is usually priced accordingly to reflect the high moisture content. Example....Wet distillers grain $40 a ton Dry distillers grain $150 a ton (examples only).

I'm at .69 @ 6# a day per head buying 14% commodity mix in bulk. With the cost of feed going up I think a set of scales is in my plans this summer. It would be nice to see if pushing them harder pays off.

Latest posts