Feeding grain cost

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm at .64 per day for 4 Lb. per head of 14 pct. bulk feed delivered . Thanks for asking. I needed to know myself . rj

I am at 9.7 cents a pound 14% protein. I am not going to complain about the price but I just sold some heifers and average daily gain was only 1.4 lbs per day which put my cost with hay and water at $1 to add a pound. Not crazy about that number though.

True Grit Farms":2t9dlcpb said:
skyhightree1":2t9dlcpb said:
shaz":2t9dlcpb said:
True,
Fed some throw away thrift store bread to pigs 3 years ago and even though a pick-up load was 10 bucks it wasn't a good deal when you look at the dry matter.

I feed bread by dump truck loads to pigs... I feed it because I like it for the flavors the meats have with the mixes I make with it not for the feed analysis.
I'd like to feed just grass and hay, but I can't grow 14% hay for the wet cows. For me I think hay would be the cheapest and easiest feed option. I believe we make raising cattle harder than it needs to be. Messing with feed and hay seems like I'm spinning my wheels half of the time.

It's not hard to change your calving date to fit your local grass growth.

How many here on feeding the yearlings feed and hay? I can't figure a way to cover the hay cost on gain so mine get 6#'s a day and what little standing grass is left. I do set a bale out when it's bad weather though. I weaned November the 16th and plan on keeping until May or June.

Lucky":23qe3a38 said:
How many here on feeding the yearlings feed and hay? I can't figure a way to cover the hay cost on gain so mine get 6#'s a day and what little standing grass is left. I do set a bale out when it's bad weather though. I weaned November the 16th and plan on keeping until May or June.
i feed mine out til about 700 - 800 right now. feedin ga mix of ddg / corn. cost is 170 / ton but I can knock that down to 130 if i get semi loads.

rufun2sun":33uh3994 said:
Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

I'm small taters too. I pay .13/lb delivered for 16% CP mixed feed. Used to feed 14% and bumped up with this current batch and it seems to be working out well.

BigBear":2reslewa said:
rufun2sun":2reslewa said:
Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

I'm small taters too. I pay .13/lb delivered for 16% CP mixed feed. Used to feed 14% and bumped up with this current batch and it seems to be working out well.

who are you getting your feed from?

ddd75":3rxuu2iy said:
Lucky":3rxuu2iy said:
i feed mine out til about 700 - 800 right now. feedin ga mix of ddg / corn. cost is 170 / ton but I can knock that down to 130 if i get semi loads.

What's the price breakdown? How much for corn, how much for the DDG?

shaz":33fv2ket said:
ddd75":33fv2ket said:
Lucky":33fv2ket said:

What's the price breakdown? How much for corn, how much for the DDG?

that is 3/4 corn ... 1/4 ddg ration. bulk buying = 80 / ton DDG. Corn - 120 / ton. not counting delivery.

the 170/ton is from the feed mill. corn is just a tad higher, but they charge a lot for DDG.. I figured it at 240/ton. they are about 10 minutes if that from the ethanol plant and I know they are getting it for around 70-80/ton.

ddd75":xdg3ka8h said:
BigBear":xdg3ka8h said:
rufun2sun":xdg3ka8h said:

Falers in Lithopolis

Is anybody using scales on thier feeder? If not wondering how you are measuring how much feed the stockers are getting? Only reason I ask is that have I scales on my truck feeder and noticed that I have been overfeeding a couple sets of cows today. Guess I should say I always turn them on when feeding stockers but not when feeding cows.

ddd75":1a370cdr said:
BigBear":1a370cdr said:
rufun2sun":1a370cdr said:

I'm at o.14/ lbs get from the local feed mill

Down here just about any high quality feed is going to cost you $.15 a pound minimum so it doesn't take much to make the daily feed expensive.

I'm spending about $.15 /lb for a 17% commodity pellet with both bio-mos and DE in it. Feed it to the calves and mix with a sweet feed for the dairy nurse cows. Nurse cows get about 10 -12 lbs each per day and calves get about 3-4 lbs per head per day. Mixed by our local mill. They don't use alot of filler stuff either.

farmerjan":2579bodg said:
I'm spending about $.15 /lb for a 17% commodity pellet with both bio-mos and DE in it. Feed it to the calves and mix with a sweet feed for the dairy nurse cows. Nurse cows get about 10 -12 lbs each per day and calves get about 3-4 lbs per head per day. Mixed by our local mill. They don't use alot of filler stuff either.
The DE is just running the cost up.

The DE is not much when you consider we do little or no worming on a regular basis. Have done fecals to make sure we are not missing the boat. At about $7.5 per ton, I consider it money well spent. DE costs about $.15/ lb and the formula we use is about 50 lbs per ton.
Our feed mill uses it in many of the feed mixes. It is now standard in the poultry/layer feed as it has been proven that it really cuts the worm load on layers. I pushed it years ago when I ran layers on pasture and they did a few fecals and such.

If you don't feed much grain the DE can also be added to the mineral mix and get the same results. It works good in fly dust bags for the cattle also.

I know there are alot of people that think it is "fairy dust" but it works for us. We also use BIOMOS and Tasco ( a form of kelp) in our feed mixes. It costs about $7.00 per ton for each. So for about $21.00 per ton, we feel we are getting more out of the feed than if we didn't put it in.

farmerjan":272wit7c said:
The DE is not much when you consider we do little or no worming on a regular basis. Have done fecals to make sure we are not missing the boat. At about $7.5 per ton, I consider it money well spent. DE costs about $.15/ lb and the formula we use is about 50 lbs per ton.
Our feed mill uses it in many of the feed mixes. It is now standard in the poultry/layer feed as it has been proven that it really cuts the worm load on layers. I pushed it years ago when I ran layers on pasture and they did a few fecals and such.

If you don't feed much grain the DE can also be added to the mineral mix and get the same results. It works good in fly dust bags for the cattle also.

I know there are alot of people that think it is "fairy dust" but it works for us. We also use BIOMOS and Tasco ( a form of kelp) in our feed mixes. It costs about $7.00 per ton for each. So for about $21.00 per ton, we feel we are getting more out of the feed than if we didn't put it in.
Wow, around her DE is over $25 for a 50 lb. bag (feed grade DE) and there is no evidence it does any good in the feed. The only people promoting it or those that are selling it. Veterinarians and research labs have always said there is no benefit and it is not approved to be used against internal parasites. It is however, an excellent insecticide and is state approved to be promoted and used as such. BioMoss is a good product. Tasco (kelp meal) is little more than a source of iodine with miniscule amounts of other minerals.

The local mill here is .13/lb for 16% pellets and getting their base protein from Canola and Sunflower mill is what the website says. It doesn't have the sweet molasses smell that I'm used to getting but cows seem to love it.

Finally got a bulk feed bin and my cost is 10.6 cents per pound for 17% CP 5% fat. It's DDG, soy hulls and corn.

Latest posts