Feeding Ear Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
I posted this on the introduction board, but thought I ought to try it here.

I currently shell the goat corn with an old JD 1b hand sheller. Now I like it and everything, but my right arm is getting alot bigger than my left and the neighbors are beginning to think I took up tennis or something. So I was wonderin if I could feed ear corn to cattle without grinding or shelling? I mean taking it right out of the crib and putting into the trough.

Thanks,
Brad

If the ears are long it will be hard for cattle to utilize it without a lot of waste. If you have time brake the ears in two. After a while cattle learn to chew it off the cob. Eating cob will add roughage, won't hurt them a bit.

We feed our cows ear corn. I buy a couple of ton a year and feed the corn out of 5 gal buckets. I do break the longer ears in half. I either hand feed the corn to the cows over the fence or dump it on the ground from the tractor. The main purpose of the corn is to keep the cows friendly and have them want to come to you when you call them. It sure is nice not to have to go get the cows. Just shake a half full bucket and watch them come a running - like kids to candy.

Latest posts