Feeding cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Feeding cows. Actually they are fed in the picture. First day we have had with the sun, but no wind!! -21* C this morning, but it almost feels balmy out there without the wind. The girls look a lot happier this morning than they have for a week or so. We weren't planning on feeding for another month, but they decided that they just weren't having any more of that grazing nonsense, and came home on their own :roll: Was a 5 mile trek, but they crashed the gate, and it was electrified too. So, they get their wish!! Alfalfa, barley and rye bales for dinner ;-)

fedcows.jpg

I bet if a cow gets through the wire you'll still be able to see her for days!
I'd miss the hills and trees.
Thanks for sharing the pics....DMc

We got our first killing frost last week....

Temp got down to 30F, I admire you folks that can work out in that cold.....my blood's too thin.

John250, the slogan for our province is "land of living skies" kind of fits, especially in this part of the province.

DMc, actually, they aren't as easy to find as it looks ;-) . There is enough hills and water runs for them to hide in pretty well. Plus there is a couple creeks. We are in a kind of bowl, you don't have to go too far in any direction to get into some hills. Some are pretty rough. But you are right, no trees, and I have to say that I get claustrophobic when I get into an area that has a lot of them.

And sorry to hear that bob g, I have to say though that I don't really feel all that sorry for you ;-) . I like the warmer time of the year that is for sure. My feet and hands freeze most of the winter, guess my circulation just isn't good enough. There are days, that I don't even want to look outside let alone go out there, but the cows have to be fed no matter the weather.

Here's my herd. Not quite as cold here. They're grazing a coastal hay field that didnt grow off enough to bale the last cutting. They're not too happy about it. Stockpiled coastal ain't very exciting. I'm supplementing with 500 lb. molasses blocks and some cubes. They're mighty glad when I show up with cubes. Before I put them on the hay field, they were eating 3-4 big rolls per day. I was grazing 40 weaners on the hay field while it was still green. Now the weaners are in the adjoining pasture eating goober hay and pelleted creep feed.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/uploads/553/HERD1.jpg

Here's one of my weaned steers. Wonder how much he weighs?

http://cattletoday.com/photos/uploads/5 ... _STEER.jpg