Feeding Cows in Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I have been asked about how I feed my cows over the winter while the steers are grazing corn. What I have found to be the best for method for me is to just put out good hay (10-12% protein) along with Mineralyx tubs and good well water from heated waterers.

here is a rather non descript picture for the CT poster that asked by PM. This shows a few of my cows recently. I tried bale grazing and found it was not for me.

Settled on putting out 4 of my purchased 1500 lb 5x6 bales (6000 lb of hay) at one time, 3 bales in the cradle feeders shown which are preferred by the cows and 1 bale in the ring feeder which is easier for the retained heifer calves.

the cows and retained heifer calves were put back together around Jan 1 after 8 weeks of fenceline weaning.

I dont move these feeders through the winter - just keep putting more hay in them and dont refill until they are all cleaned out. I figure 2.5% of the total weight of the cattle in this pasture per day when using wrapped bales, 3% with unwrapped (netwrap only) bales due to more waste this time of year. So this group is good for about a week on 6000lb of hay.

Since this picture, I have finished the unwrapped bales and all bales put out from now until May 1 have been OD wrapped with plastic. Much less hay waste, especially as we get into late March and April.

I used to move the feeders but lost a good cow a week or two before calving when she laid down in the soft spot where one of the feeders had been after I moved it and she went caste, couldn't get up and died overnight. A sad and expensive lesson.

so now those feeders don't move all winter. this leaves a nice pack of manure and dropped hay (not significant hay loss) which I cleanup in the spring after moving the cows and their new calves to green grass in a different pasture. I pile the pack with a manure fork on my loader into a couple big compost piles. The remains of my last compost pile are visible on the far left background in the picture. I use this composted manure/hay on my grazing corn strips and to fuel my raised bed gardens. It is like rocket fuel for vegetables.

Not a good picture but hope it helps. I like the http://www.balefeeder.com cradles and the Applegate 2-pc red rings fwiw.

Jim

IMG_0101_somecowsandbalefeedersinwintersacrificearea011512.jpg

Jim, you've have a lot more winter this season than we have here in western SD. I haven't fed any hay to my cows yet and won't have to unless we have a significant snow event.

The cows were turned in to fresh pasture that hasn't been used for several years because I had not gotten around the fence. I put out some Ranch Hand mineral tubs which are similar to your Mineralyx. They are plastic non-returnable 200 lb tubs. I also put out plenty of TM salt blocks.

I have a fiberglass water tank near the road but the cows seem to be getting enough to drink from seepwater below my largest dam. The water comes in the bottom of the tank with a Watson float valve and a stainless steel float. No cover on the tank so I do have to chop a hole in the ice and chop the float loose.

One of my neighbors who is also an independent trucker puts up one of my hayfields each year on shares. I sold this year's share and some old hay I had. It went somewhere down south.

He says next year's hay is already spoken for if I want to sell it. Don't know what it cost those guys by the time it gets there. My hay is mostly crested with some alfalfa in it. I'm getting $70/ton in the field and I don't have to touch it.

WOW!

pretty high tech stuff here! You mean to tell me that you actually put hay out for cows in winter when there is no grass? Absolutely revolutionary! Not just 2 of them, but 3! I am totally blown away. The best thing of all is your good well water. You know most of us just use regular well water but you thought of using GOOD well water. Sir you are a cow genius!

Now if we can only get you to team up with the arm chair cowboy, Doc and write a book!

Scroote":2z6nooh2 said:
WOW!

pretty high tech stuff here! You mean to tell me that you actually put hay out for cows in winter when there is no grass? Absolutely revolutionary! Not just 2 of them, but 3! I am totally blown away. The best thing of all is your good well water. You know most of us just use regular well water but you thought of using GOOD well water. Sir you are a cow genius!

Now if we can only get you to team up with the arm chair cowboy, Doc and write a book!

My dear sir, the pm question that prompted my post and picture was regarding bale grazing vs feeding from feeders and about different types of hay feeders and how much to put out at one time. I have tried bale grazing and found feeders worked better for me.

Good day to you.

Jim

Scroote":3aaxbg1y said:
WOW!

Richard Noggin

Scroote":16wmmvv9 said:
WOW!

Well, I guess there has to be a comedian in every bunch. :bang: :roll:

On well water, I must say my cows have had to drink some damn poor well water over the years. So maybe it's a good thing there wasn't much of it either. :roll:

I'm glad my neighbor dug an artesion well and allowed neighbors to hook on to it. Good well water in abundance definitely makes a difference to both livestock and people.

Latest posts