Feeding calves or increasing herd size

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Scenario: New farm that can probably hold 40-50 mama cows or feed calves. Which would you do? Increase with mamas or feed calves?

feed calves; maybe 350 to 450 pounds. Grow them out and sell them, keeping the good heifers as cows and you pay for the calves with some heifers to start a herd.

I would begin by slowing down and establishing some goals and objectives. Unless you plan on running several hundred plus animals I would stay pretty focused. Ask yourself how you are going to sell, when you plan selling, and to whom you plan on selling to.
Bigger does not always mean better or more profitable.

Oops, forgot to mention the existing herd on the farm is already close to 200 mama cows. Trying to decide which is best to feed calves also or increase herd size with more cows.

I would ween the calves when the time comes and hang On to them . Sell as yearlings . More cows means more inputs with less profit . Adding 300 pounds to the calves you already have is cheaper than buying and feeding more cows .

JSCATTLE":1dgdwktr said:
I would ween the calves when the time comes and hang On to them . Sell as yearlings . More cows means more inputs with less profit . Adding 300 pounds to the calves you already have is cheaper than buying and feeding more cows .

:nod: If its dry you can bail them early and have the extra pasture for you mommas. If its wet hold the calves and sell as yearlings.

you asked a very loaded q.id keep the weaned calves an grow them to 750 or 800lbs an then sell emm.if you buy light weight calves an background them up ton 750 or 800lbs in my eyes youll loose money fast.200 momma cows will run you ragged trying to tend to them.

bigbull338":22d4h30s said:
you asked a very loaded q.id keep the weaned calves an grow them to 750 or 800lbs an then sell emm.if you buy light weight calves an background them up ton 750 or 800lbs in my eyes youll loose money fast.200 momma cows will run you ragged trying to tend to them.
I still like calves better but if buying lightweights then have a top hand to tend them and get them going at least till you really learn what you are doing. As far a 200 mamas that's about minimum for a operation that's supposed to pay for itself and make a living. Not knocking small herds that are part time or what will fit someone's land at all, just being realistic. Just do the math. Actually doing the math I don't 200 come close to making a living.

when looking between increasing one enterprise or having a new one, look at labour, machinery, use and how yards etc work. Not just in normal times but when foreseeable things happen.

I have seen lots of people who increased crop area only to find the combine needs to be new instead of a few years old, and the cost of a new machine makes the increase unprofitable. Often there are sizes that make sense and increases have to be in steps. Half a step is unprofitable.

Moral being you need to look at every thing, even get some one else to look at you whole plan.

Latest posts