feeding alfalfa cubes?

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
Got to ask a dumb question....

My daughter's show heifer... same one we talked about earlier... has been gaining nicely on the mix we put together for her.

My boss came out to look at her and he suggested switching her from the prairie grass hay that we've been giving her to Bermuda Hay or Alfalfa.

I haven't been able to find anyone that is selling small squares of Bermuda locally. I can get alfalfa blocks from the mill or pressed alfalfa pellets from Atwoods.

I looked at the pellets last night and they show them recommended for everything but cattle.

Has anyone used a product like this in the past?

I have about half a bale of prarie grass left that should last me halfway into next week until I might be able to get some of that Bermuda that I have a line on.

There is no reason that you couln't feed Alfalfa pellets to your bovine, most people don't due to the cost factor. Your feed store should carry other types of pelleted feeds that might be a better choice than staight alfalfa, you will find that it can come out pretty messy. :shock:
Also the amount of pellets that you will have to feed with out added hay will be alot. Good luck :D

Just make sure you keep the balance between hay and alfalfa since alfalfa is "hot". The rumen needs to be balanced.

If you can afford the price of the alfalfa cubes its a good way to go, high protein and a good source of minerals....introduce it slowly the rumens need to adjust. We feed alfalfa as a suppliment and the primary feed when the pastures dry up...grow alot of it up here.

People around here buy compressed alfalfa hay for their horses. They come in a 50 pound bale wrapped in plastic. I think they are about $8.00 a bale. Their high but it may be something you want to look into.

Latest posts