Feeder futures

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle":3jbcr74p said:
skyhightree1":3jbcr74p said:
J&D Cattle":3jbcr74p said:
Just saw that. Hope Dad left his calves standing. He was going to haul a few in this morning.

This market has been all over the place. Read something over the weekend that they thought we had put the bottom in and we should see some slow increases to actual feeder prices. Some are calling for cull cows to head even farther down. Who knows???

I will have freezers full of ground beef before I give them away.

We bought about 30 broken mouth cows and calved them out this spring. Some of the cows could stay around to have another calf but several need to take a ride. As I said in another thread we are weaning the calves off early and will try to heal them up and put some weight on them. Might roll the dice again if cull prices head that far down.

I did about 35 broken mouth cows this last spring. The cows left 3 weeks ago. Straight to the plant. The calves left last week. I am real glad they all left when they did.

Dave":2anrruiu said:
J&D Cattle":2anrruiu said:
skyhightree1":2anrruiu said:

We bought about 30 broken mouth cows and calved them out this spring. Some of the cows could stay around to have another calf but several need to take a ride. As I said in another thread we are weaning the calves off early and will try to heal them up and put some weight on them. Might roll the dice again if cull prices head that far down.

I did about 35 broken mouth cows this last spring. The cows left 3 weeks ago. Straight to the plant. The calves left last week. I am real glad they all left when they did.
For a few years all I was doing was this. Made good money but I sure like raising calves better.

Dave":rr3mgp58 said:
J&D Cattle":rr3mgp58 said:
skyhightree1":rr3mgp58 said:

I'm greedy and wanted to hold the cows until they were 3rd period again but with no rain my grass is awful short. We're weaning the calves on Saturday and I'll make some decisions about the cows then. I'm planning on backgrounding the calves and waiting for a pre-vac sale.

Hoping they don't tank as I will be taking my first set of calves off in early November.
Would love to get over $750 per.

Whether has been bad here, 50s at night and 90 during the day. Trying to buy them right this week so the death loss doesn't hurt as bad. Some local backgrounders are having lots of health trouble lately. I have doctored 11 calves in the last week and a half, and that's out of 40 I've turned out this month.
Can't see prices improving much unless it's on preconditioned cattle.

Ojp6":12wpllxi said:
Whether has been bad here, 50s at night and 90 during the day. Trying to buy them right this week so the death loss doesn't hurt as bad. Some local backgrounders are having lots of health trouble lately. I have doctored 11 calves in the last week and a half, and that's out of 40 I've turned out this month.

What are you dealing with 5wts? I have some weening calves that I feed every day and haven't seen a problem yet.
Problems are respiratory?

Just wondering if I need to be on the lookout as well...

shaz":5fti2gsk said:
Ojp6":5fti2gsk said:

What are you dealing with 5wts? I have some weening calves that I feed every day and haven't seen a problem yet.
Problems are respiratory?

Just wondering if I need to be on the lookout as well...
I'm not sure it because of the size he has as much as it is that they are market calves that have been stressed in this hot weather by hauling, selling, weaning on the trailer. OJP6 correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, mostly respiratory. It's been on 4-500 lb calves. The weather has been tough on them. We have been keeping most of them alive though. Went through more Excede and Draxxin than I like to. They came out of several different sales, which never helps the health.

Latest posts