futures

Help Support CattleToday:

The futures is a tool that can be used at times but the reality is that it is mostly controlled by people who don't own any cattle. It can give you a long term idea of the market on cattle. It is also very wrong often.

Futures are the best estimate as to future prices.
Good indicator as they are based on real money buy/sell contracts by producers with enough skin in the game to control risk. The problems arise when 'experts' get involved as investment advisors on how to profit from market fluctuations with buying and selling contracts to those with no or limited inventory as investment opportunities.

Son of Butch":2u9xe6i3 said:
Good indicator as they are based on real money buy/sell contracts by producers with enough skin in the game to control risk. The problems arise when 'experts' get involved as investment advisors on how to profit from market fluctuations with buying and selling contracts to those with no or limited inventory as investment opportunities.
You don't need "inventory" to purchase futures. Only money and balls and many times it can be done with no money.

TexasBred":3d8u1rgm said:
Son of Butch":3d8u1rgm said:
You don't need "inventory" to purchase futures. Only money and balls and many times it can be done with no money.
You don't need any inventory but there's a $10,000 buy in last time I checked.

TexasBred":4txf2hav said:
So true and they are called speculators. Their participation is a form of legalized gambling and adds volatility as the market seeks it's true value.

dieselbeef":1d20s6iu said:
i was looking at it to predict price fluctuations to my advantage

Conceivably, guessing would be 50% accurate. Chances are probably better that way, than studying futures.

ga.prime":2mjzhsms said:
TexasBred":2mjzhsms said:
Son of Butch":2mjzhsms said:
You don't need any inventory but there's a $10,000 buy in last time I checked.
Yep.....due by market closing time that afternoon. A lot can happen in a few hours. That's where the big balls come in.

If I recall correctly, Hillary Clinton made a bunch of money on cattle futures. I think she even ended up getting some manure on her in her trades even though she didn't own any cattle.

Jogeephus":25pzdwj9 said:
If I recall correctly, Hillary Clinton made a bunch of money on cattle futures. I think she even ended up getting some manure on her in her trades even though she didn't own any cattle.

I would bet money that she "Doesn't recall that".

dieselbeef":1bdjb3a3 said:
i was looking at it to predict price fluctuations to my advantage
I like to look to the past to predict the future of cattle prices.

My crystal ball says: fats recovering in January, sell feeders February-April, buy feeders in May, peak in cattle market in June-August, bottom of cattle market October-December, buy breds in November.
Just as accurate guess as looking at what CME futures today say.
Although I think my crystal ball maybe broken because it's been saying that for the past 12 years... :cowboy: ;-) :lol:

Latest posts