Feedback on this 13.5 month old bull (pros and/or cons)

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":2zlqi0kl said:
HomePlaceAngus":2zlqi0kl said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2zlqi0kl said:
Does that "tail head" comment refer to the high angle at which he holds his tail?
Combonation of the way his tail comes off his body and the lack of Ribeye.

Ok, im still learning. How can you tell he has a lack of Ribeye? I just cant see that. Not saying you are wrong I just want to know how you can tell.

I'm curious as well.

Makes 4 of us.

Its usually quite easy to tell on the REA, but I fail to see how the tailhead is applicable in this case. (Actually a prominent tailset, or baboon tail as we call it here is more often found in hard, heavy, short muscled bulls.)

A very good looking bull calf, although the tailhead isn't ideal its a minor detail in this case. Looking at the second photo he appears a touch pidgeon toed, but the shoulder angle doesn't suggest it at all, so I'll settle for its probably just the photo and he isn't pidgeon toed when seen in the flesh.

As final tongue in the cheek comment.... he looks very much like I want a good strong Angus to look like at that age.

KNERSIE":2r38dhz4 said:
Makes 4 of us.

Its usually quite easy to tell on the REA, but I fail to see how the tailhead is applicable in this case. (Actually a prominent tailset, or baboon tail as we call it here is more often found in hard, heavy, short muscled bulls.)

A very good looking bull calf, although the tailhead isn't ideal its a minor detail in this case. Looking at the second photo he appears a touch pidgeon toed, but the shoulder angle doesn't suggest it at all, so I'll settle for its probably just the photo and he isn't pidgeon toed when seen in the flesh.

As final tongue in the cheek comment.... he looks very much like I want a good strong Angus to look like at that age.

How dare you question the flavor of the month Angus expert!

I agree on the tail head being a little high but I'd use him for sure and sometimes it just gets caught that way in the pic. Is it that way all the time? I'd like to see some of his calves when they hit the ground.

Sorry guys, I don't know my beef cuts very well. Can't tell about the ribeye. :oops: Even though I think the tail head is high, I certainly would use him. I like him a lot.

I will be picking him up on Monday. I will take some pictures and post them from all angles thanks for the feedback. I totally agree on the Tail set. I also have some concerns on the amount of leather he has on the chest area. I've seen a lot worse though. What happened is the bull i originally chose was shooting blanks. This bull was too young at the time i needed him. Since I drug my feet while waiting for the original bull to test out correctly this bull actually became my best option. I wanted to breed in November, but it looks like the commercial cows will be covered in Dec/Jan. this bull is also homozygeous (sp?) black and homo polled. The first bull was hetero black which is good in my market because most of the commercial cows are red and horned. Personally, i like red too, but our market demands otherwise

Thank you for the feedback.

David

I like him, if I were in the blacks he'd do fine for me, seems to have nice meaty hinds... I can't get a good look at his hooves and how they're wearing, which is something important on my place... one picture makes it look as though he stands on his 'heels' rather than 'toes', especially on the hind legs, but with the grass I can't get a good look...

As with the 4 heifers I kept this year, each one has an aspect i'd improve, and between all 4 of them I think I'd make a perfect one, but none of them have anything so wrong with them I dislike them...

Nice animal though

TennesseeTuxedo":1f97bxhi said:
Does that "tail head" comment refer to the high angle at which he holds his tail?
No, the high tail set is a result up the upward sloping pelvic where the the tail will set up higher than the spine. I personally prefer the tail head to lay smoothly between the pins but unless you plan on keeping replacements, that's not a concern. The bull looks very nice to me. Maybe could be a bit deeper in the chest but he definitely passes the eye test.

houstoncutter":3080yldt said:
not bad at all but I would like to see more crest on him. Stronger the crest the more fertile they are.

Not pickin a fight but he has a lot of crest for a 13.5 month old bull and I do disagree that more crest means more fertility. I beleive it has more to do with libido than sperm count!

KNERSIE":2f7v8dwx said:
Its an indication of high levels of testosterone.

That's exactly what I meant by libido. I just sold a Blk Angus bull that didn't ever show a huge crest but the vet told me he had one of the highest sperm counts she had ever seen!

Honestly.. as long as he has 1 sperm per cow youre OK... I have doubts that slight increases or decreases from the norm are going to be noticed... if he has a PROBLEM with his sperm or delivery system, I think that would be much more noticeable

Nesikep":3fom4xli said:
Honestly.. as long as he has 1 sperm per cow youre OK... I have doubts that slight increases or decreases from the norm are going to be noticed... if he has a PROBLEM with his sperm or delivery system, I think that would be much more noticeable

You need to read that chapter again.

It is hard to see because he is so black, but if you look closely he does have a nice crest coming for a 13&1/2 month old bull. I am sure at 15 months it will be very prominent.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions....good and/or potentially negative.

Based on pictures, I really liked him. When I originally went to this farm to look at bulls, I was looking at bulls a few months older than this bull was...so I didn't pay much attention to any that were less than 13 months old (2.5 months ago), and ended up selecting a very nice, well bred bull that proved to be deficient in the sperm category (a slightly important category). I initially created this thread, as I wanted to allow people to shoot a few holes in this 51 bull so I could personally check him out for those flaws when I drove 7 hours one way to see him today.

After seeing him in the flesh, I find very little fault in him. I will address a few of the potential flaws some folks mentioned so this can be a learning opportunity for more than just myself.

Crest: I won't enter the discussion of Crest = Fertility because I'm probably not qualified in comparison, but I will say he has as much crest and masculinity as I think any 13.5 month old bull needs. Incidentally, when I unloaded him from the trailer, he walked through the girls and and found one that was coming into heat and immediately mounted her. I will also say that he didn't aim very well for his first mount (on a female...LOL)

Hooves: Nice straight set, with a good wide base.

Shoulder angle: Good to above average for his age.

Rear: Above average length of muscle. GREAT stifle! Average "bulk"... and good width.

The main potential flaw mentioned was his tail head being high: He just had an arm in his butt (semen test) right before the picture was taken, is why he was holding his tail up. It fit nicely today.

I will take more pictures when the light is better, as it was almost dusk when I unloaded him. He came from Rodney Sewell, in Chipley, FL, and I like dealing with this gentleman, and I think he has some very nice cows.

thanks!!!

David

3waycross":3ks28ouw said:
KNERSIE":3ks28ouw said:
Its an indication of high levels of testosterone.

That's exactly what I meant by libido. I just sold a Blk Angus bull that didn't ever show a huge crest but the vet told me he had one of the highest sperm counts she had ever seen!

He can have the highest sperm count going, but if he dont have the wanta to get it done he is of no use to me. In the climate my bulls have to work in, they really got to want to breed.

TennesseeTuxedo":1c1r3n1e said:
I'm looking forward to some more pictures and learning more about what is meant by "crest"as it applies in this situation.

Thanks
Crest ""hump"" of his neck it applies in every situation as far as bulls are concerned.. as knersie said a indicator of testosterone

Latest posts