feed question

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
We make square bales but always buy some round bales of a native mix of grasses .OK can I feed them a round bale of straight alfalfa ,clover mix? Its high in protein but will I have to watch out for bloat?

I guess there is always a chance of bloat when you switch hay types. However if the clover/alfalfa hay is dry and hasn't gotten any mold in it bloat shouldn't be a big concern. I wolud limit the time they have at the hay for two reasons to start with. One is it will let them get used to the richer protein hay and two is that it is a more expensive hay and they will consume more than they actually need. JMO

You will always risk bloat with most legume hay types. However, you can limit your risk by breaking them into feeding your alfalfa slowly over two or three days, building up to your full ration. Even without safeguards the risk is usually not very large unless conditions conspire just wrong. I've fed thousands of cattle alfalfa hay, turned cows out on active growing alfalfa fields (i.e. that last cutting that just didn't make it quite dense enough to cut and bail) and have only experienced bloat a couple of times. The last time it was cows grazing growing alfalfa the morning after our first good frost. I do know operators who have done the same thing to find 6 - 7 bloated (dead)cows the next day. As a commercial outfit we weigh the potential risk/losses against the known gain. I look at a the feed costs of starting to feed hay every day through the winter figured against the value of losing a few cows if I turn them out. In my case, the risk is always worth the value captured. Myself, when feeding alfalfa hay, I break them into the full ration over three days and don't worry at all. I also feed in a way to help insure they are not exposed to alfalfa when they are hungry and want to gorge themselves. (i.e. feed out frass hay first and/or feed a full ration before turning out onto alfalfa fields)

If you are operating with a small herd and losing a couple means a big loss overall, put out a couple bloat blocks out a few days ahead of starting to feed your hay. Any cow that uses the blocks will be safeguarded as long as she visits the blocks a few minutes each day. The medicated blocks will prevent the natural saponin forming the dense bubble broth that causes bloat. I think bloat blocks are running around $24 now. It's cheap insurance if you have a small number of head and can be relatively sure you can get them going on them, but still there are no guarantees.

Holmesfarm":18415gjs said:
We make square bales but always buy some round bales of a native mix of grasses .OK can I feed them a round bale of straight alfalfa ,clover mix? Its high in protein but will I have to watch out for bloat?

What cutting is the straight alfalfa/clover mix? Are your cattle used to alfalfa hay? If you've been feeding straight grass hay, then I absolutely would not switch them to straight alfalfa.

our cows are not used to alfalfa hay. thought it would be good protien but we had know to controling them as it was in round bales. so we passed on the alfalfa clover mix for this year. thanks

Latest posts