feed mixture ????

Help Support CattleToday:

whagen

Reaction score
I have almost unlimited amounts of peanut hearts and husk. I am trying to find a correct and proper feed to make utilizing these free goodies. I thought of grinding or milling corn and mixing these free components. Any ideas or suggestions.
WHagen

Peanut hearts come from peanuts. We make a ton of peanut better. After roasting, the equipment shakes the raosted peanut in a weird manner and the result is the heart drops out of the bin into a box we throw away. Same principle with the husk. The husk gum up the equipment and the hearts are bitter. We want them out but I know the protein content (of the husk) is high. It just seems like a viable additive to say corn.

Bill

Boy I'd like to get my hands on that !!!!

Have it tested-- to be sure
my guess is that its high in protien and high in fat(most likely its limiting factor)
Would mix well with corn- but i'll bet the safe inclusion rate is pretty low .

Do you have access to the hulls too??
A local feedmill has the local peanut byproduct tied up--
He makes a great filler feed using it that has the hulls(needed to pull the fat and protien levels down and its cheap), skins; cull(small) peanuts, corn screenings and DDG.

I have bags and bags of the husk. Come 1st quarter, I will have boxes of hearts. I am not sure the hearts have any value, the husk are good protein. Just looking for anyone with a thought as to percentage mix of milled corn and the husk perhaps to include some form of sweets.
Bill

Help me out a little bit---

The outer shell of a peanut is what I would call the Chevy or "hull".

The "peanut" is what we eat

The "skin" is around the peanut - that flakes off real easy.

I am assuming that the "heart" is the little piece in the middle of the peanut halves towards the top--

If your "husk" is the same as my "hull" - then no it has very little nutrient value other than as a roughage source.

The nutrients are in the "skin" and "peanuts" and what I would call the "heart" .

I can find you the average feed values for the "hull" "peanut" and "skin" but have no idea about the "heart"

The "heart" I believe is the germ, like wheat germ only from a peanut.

dun

Interestingly enough, I have been told the thin shell around the peanut I have been calling a husk has protein value. You indicate it has none. Are you sure?? I would really appreciate knowing.

And yes the heart is the very dead center of the peanut. I know nothing about "germ" but can tell you we never use the hearts for anything but attracting hogs in my hog trap. If left in the nut, the heart creates a very bitter taste in the peanut butter.

Thoughts,
Bill

Sure- but give me a little time to have the "freetime" to look up the feedvalues .
that I have-- they are "somewhere" in my folders
as I did alot of research on peanuts a few years ago.

If you haven't guessed I get a kick out of talking rations-- it gets addictive when you start formulating least cost rations :)

Almost like playing a game or puzzel.............

I'm also gonna look and see if I can find pictures of peanut parts- so I know we are talking about the same thing :)

The "skin" is VERY thin- brownish red colored- and crushes easily into a flaky powder.

The Chevy or "hull" contains the peanut with the skin on it. It is light brown has pits all over it - and breaks apart into hard jagged pieces.

"hulls" have some protien -- but not as much as the "skins"
why I want to make sure we are talking about the same things.

I already did a search for hearts-- and didn't come up with anything. But I'll bet its close to what the "peanut" has nutrient wise.

whagen":3q2cdnl8 said:
And yes the heart is the very dead center of the peanut. I know nothing about "germ" but can tell you we never use the hearts for anything but attracting hogs in my hog trap. If left in the nut, the heart creates a very bitter taste in the peanut butter.

Thoughts,
Bill

Back in the 50s or 60s Skippy peanut butter made a big deal out of not using the germ in their product. In their advertising they called it "the stale maker".

dun

Okay, I would greatly appreciate anything you could do.

To be clear, when we receive the peanuts to roast and crush into peanut butter, we receive them in 2200 lbs. bags WITHOUT the shell. The hard crunchy thing you have to breakopen at the ball park.

The peanuts come with that redish brown flaky skin. That "skin" gets sorted out after the roast and falls into a huge plastic bag.

That is the item I have been told has protein value. I wish to mix those skins with milled corn along with some sort of sweetner to make my own feed.

I look forward to your findings.

Bill

Found my stuff

Have a few more questions before I call---

Is there any way to use SBHulls instead of corn??

If not what do you have access to
to add some additional protien source?

While skins are very high in protien its an incomplete protein and needs to be only "part" of the protein.The protein in Corn isn't enough to balance it .

Also you aren't going to be able to use it for more than 15% of the TOTAL ration. Its very high in tannins.

I still can't find ANY information on feeding hearts to anything but birds. And no information on its analysis.
Any chance you want to send some to the local extension agent and have him run an analysis on it-- or maybe someone else local has already done it and he/she can tell you the results.

I'm assuming we don't want to count on your hay or grass for alot of protein........

I'm picking up alot of new information while I'm tinkering for you
I now know why the mill here bothered to add DDG to their peanut feed(to balance the amino acid profile), which I was always curious about

And I know where the word "tannins" comes from--
They were what was used to tan leather.

Latest posts