Feed Buggy

Help Support CattleToday:

Tennessee Cattleman

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good way to get bulk feed pellets from the Co-op to the farm and store them. I have been looking at the feed buggy and the corn caddy from Heavybilt Mfg. Has anyone had experience with these or other types of feed buggys and how good do they work out?

At our feed mill they put it in bags that hold 1200# or 2000# on a pallet and just set if off truck or trailer with the tractor loader.

We use a 4 wheel trailer with a grain gravity box. Bought it used & hauls #16,000. Can fill 5 gallon buckets from grain chute or auger into cube feeder. Park it in the barn & works really well.

I use two gravity wagons. About 40 m p h is as fast as I can pull them before they start swaying back and fourth. So I take them off the wheels, and put them on my goose-neck flatbed. So I can pull them as fast as I want to. That also gets them off the ground high enough to get my tractor bucket under the chute. so I can unload them faster. I get soyhull pellets in one and corn in the other.

Maybe it's my cheap nature, but we got a bunch of the plastic foodgrade shipping barrels with the locking ring top. They each hold around 275 lbs of corn gluten pellets. I just put them in the back of the truck and drove to the mill. They weighed the truck going in and coming out and I paid the bulk price for the differrence in weight. They were easy to store, don;t even need to be inside or under cover if you lock the tops back on. No rodents or varmints and inexpensive to get.

dun

Thanks for the replys. Currently doing the plastic barrels and find them a pain to handle and unload. Might be able to build or buy a small trailer for a small gravity box (I don't want to keep the gooseneck tied up with a box on it). Checked with Heavybilt on a feed buggy, but shipping is an expensive problem unless they sell a load, which is 4 buggys, in the upper Southeastern U.S. May just build me a box with a axle and tongue to hold a ton or so of pellets.

I see them fairly often at farm sales around here. Usually at a dairy that's shutting down

dun

I was thinking about using an old grinder mixer and putting a door in the bottom. What do you guys think? :roll:

Latest posts