Portable 1 Ton Feed Bin/Buggy

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView

Reaction score
Considering buying a 1 ton bumper pull feed bin. Lots of places around here have the GWS 1 ton models ranging from $1350-$1550. Having the bin would immediately lower my feed bill and save time and trips buying and stacking sacked feed as I've been buying ~600lbs at a time bc I store it I'm my 2 car garage in town.

I do not have access to front end loader or forks and don't want to fool with hand filling an auger from a super sack from the back of the truck to a stationary bin so this seems to be my best option.

Does anyone have any experience with GWS products or feed savings by buying in bulk?

Thanks!

Have a bunch of their creep feeders. The hitches are too low and I don't really care for how they fasten the cow guards, but they're good otherwise.

Several people use the side discharge portable feed bin. They seem to like them, but need a dry place to store them. Price drops with a ton bought, at a time. I buy 2.5 tons. Delivery is $30 for trucking. The bin will pay for itself very quickly.

circlebllc said:
Several people use the side discharge portable feed bin. They seem to like them, but need a dry place to store them. Price drops with a ton bought, at a time. I buy 2.5 tons. Delivery is $30 for trucking. The bin will pay for itself very quickly.

Can't say that I've seen a side discharge GWS. Do you have a link? Also, I should've mentioned that do plan on storing outside until I rig up a small lean to to park under.

I have a Kory manufacturing 1 ton buggy. I really wish it was 3 ton. Group of calves on feed I typically only get 10 days out of a ton. I use it year round. Saves tons of time throwing bags

Till-Hill said:
I have a Kory manufacturing 1 ton buggy. I really wish it was 3 ton. Group of calves on feed I typically only get 10 days out of a ton. I use it year round. Saves tons of time throwing bags

The Kory's looked to be better built than the GWS but I haven't found a distributor or price for the 1 ton unit.

Yeah, I hope I don't kick myself in a few years for only getting a 1 ton unit...

My kory has never been inside. Get some rain that runs down behind the slide but I use it daily so no worries. It is well built was $1575 few years ago. It came unhooked empty once and rolled down thru a ditch and not hardly a scratch. For price difference on Gws from 1 to 3 ton be hard not to buy 3 ton

I don't remember what brand our 3 ton bin is, got it at Two Rivers CoOp. Came with a pin hitch so had a ball hitch welded on. Our 1 ton is a Versa Tote. We just haul it to the CoOp. They're kept in a 3 sided shed so somewhat protected from the elements and no rusting. Well worth the investment in my world!

One other thing about those creep feeders, they put the crappiest cheap tires on them. Even with 60psi in them they look almost flat with a full load. Almost impossible to move with a full load.

Upgrade the tires if you plan on doing a lot of road travel.

Till-Hill said:
My kory has never been inside. Get some rain that runs down behind the slide but I use it daily so no worries. It is well built was $1575 few years ago. It came unhooked empty once and rolled down thru a ditch and not hardly a scratch. For price difference on Gws from 1 to 3 ton be hard not to buy 3 ton

Kory didn't have a distributor within 100 miles and was going to need to charge $1000 for shipping from Illinois. Had they been closer, I very likely would have gone this route as their models appeared better built for this price point.

ValleyView said:
Till-Hill said:

Kory didn't have a distributor within 100 miles and was going to need to charge $1000 for shipping from Illinois. Had they been closer, I very likely would have gone this route as their models appeared better built for this price point.
That was my problem too. I bought another just the top part no lid or wheels at a Mills Fleet Farm for $300, I use that under a low roof barn.

Till-Hill said:
ValleyView said:
Till-Hill said:

That was my problem too. I bought another just the top part no lid or wheels at a Mills Fleet Farm for $300, I use that under a low roof barn.

Nice, I bet that is handier than pockets on a shirt!!

GWS, makes great products. I have two of their 3 ton creep feeders as well as a 3 ton portable bulk bin. Their creep feeders have a poly bottom which was a sell for me. The bulk bin I never pull as I found a place that delivers for cheaper that I can go get it plus its better feed. With the last sentence being said, you might check around before you buy a one ton bin as most places that deliver have a 2.5 to 3 ton minimum. B&G

Latest posts