February Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Since I've got a little time this morning, thought I would share some pictures from the last week or two.

We bought a few bred cows back in December. We don't usually calve till April but these were all bred to calve Jan/Feb. Out of 4 all but one have calved. Kind of fun having a few calves running around already.
IMG_2942sm_zpssonaa35b.jpg

This is a first calf heifer who calved 3 weeks early. Calf

IMG_2900sm_zps3hllzgxj.jpg

7 yr old cow

IMG_2919sm_zps45i2tcrk.jpg

80858D67-DD7A-4B45-AF58-08C8832AF783_zpsdocgyunz.jpg

some snoopy replacement heifers

IMG_3024sm_zpswkfeb2kn.jpg

The only cow on the place with horns. We put bands on her the 3rd of Feb - we shall see how long they take to fall off. She has a completely different attitude already. She was really starting to use her horns to her advantage - running cows away from the feed and water trough all the time.

IMG_3055sm_zpskmfiklmk.jpg

a couple purebred BA - bred heifer on the left, not sure on the age of that other girl off the top of my head.

IMG_3037sm_zps5fbalbef.jpg

IMG_3029sm_zpssc9iku7v.jpg

IMG_3062sm_zpseoblcluc.jpg

IMG_3066sm_zpsxo2kkf2x.jpg

some bred heifers with a 6 yr old cow in the middle.

IMG_3120sm_zpsvizgf2n6.jpg

IMG_3124sm_zpsucdwydpi.jpg

another bred heifer - purebred BA

IMG_3130sm_zpshejmnm3u.jpg

a couple of old girls. This will be their last year. Bought them cheap start of last winter - sold their calf last fall for more than what we paid for them. They were in pretty rough shape when they came, but look pretty good now. I think age is starting to catch up to them though.

IMG_3137sm_zpsbv3mcglf.jpg

IMG_3172sm_zpshgqklmck.jpg

one of my favorite BA cows - 10 years old. Never takes a very good picture though...

IMG_3163sm_zpsvfe1odzl.jpg

IMG_3151sm_zpsrjwhitlg.jpg

commercial bred heifer.

IMG_3166sm_zpsmskd2fjy.jpg

3 yr old RA cow

IMG_3174sm_zps3ux6sph7.jpg

10 yr old brockle face cow - the brockle face in the back is her dam. the other is a 4 yr old BA

IMG_3191sm_zps0ch2kr5f.jpg

IMG_3214sm_zpsyfg3hkyr.jpg

this girls got her makeup on

IMG_3220sm_zpshk2gkizi.jpg

BA bred heifer

IMG_3293sm_zpsllsb7zjx.jpg

9 month old bull calf

IMG_3323sm_zpsaxs5ikow.jpg

couple more bulls

Well that turned into more pictures than I thought...sorry if I overload anyones computer haha It's hard to choose sometimes which ones to share!

That brockle and her dam... Apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it? Even those old girls look in good shape.. The second cow pictured (7 year old) is sure a tank.

The only cow on the place with horns. We put bands on her the 3rd of Feb - we shall see how long they take to fall off. She has a completely different attitude already. She was really starting to use her horns to her advantage - running cows away from the feed and water trough all the time.

Somebodies gotta be the boss. I like a cow with horns to test a bull's libido. He is a real stud when he goes head to head with a tough old gal who knows how to horn ya and then turns her around.

You should put these pictures over under the thread running about "what do good cattle look like".

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the comments.

hillbillyhammer":fsg38v2y said:
does that 9 month old bull calf have any GV in it?
Nope, purebred Red Angus. Was it the color that made you think he might be crossed? He will be a very dark red by the time summer rolls around. His sire was even darker and from a distance you would almost think he was a black bull out in the pasture with a bunch of red cows. I personally like the color, but it's not everybody's cup of tea.

Aaron":fsg38v2y said:
Looking great, CD. I can't hardly believe that 41B/121 is only 2. She's huge.
Thanks Aaron. Need to cut that extra tag with the lot # out of that girl... I think maybe she looks a little bigger in that picture than she actually is. She's not really tall, but she is very big bodied, especially for a heifer.
Maybe she looks a little more reasonable in size in this pic next to a mature cow (granted a fairly big by one our standards, but in lots of guys herds she would be average)?
IMG_2925sm_zpsrbbovpnd.jpg

JWBrahman":fsg38v2y said:
Somebodies gotta be the boss. I like a cow with horns to test a bull's libido. He is a real stud when he goes head to head with a tough old gal who knows how to horn ya and then turns her around.

Well if she was the boss cow it would probably be ok! She's really sort of a loner out there most of the time, definitely not a boss/lead cow... She doesn't have the best attitude in the corral when working them either, so probably best for the horns to come off. Been saying we were going to either get rid of the horns or get rid of her for a few years now. She's just lucky that she actually belongs to my husbands younger brother who is only 17 and she raises a 700 lb calf every year, or she'd probably already be on the truck.

Nesikep":fsg38v2y said:
That brockle and her dam... Apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it? Even those old girls look in good shape.. The second cow pictured (7 year old) is sure a tank.
Those brockles are really good cows, a couple of my favorites for sure... I think the two old girls with brisket tags are lucky its been such a mild winter, they are in good shape but moving awfully slow. Not lame on any particular foot/leg, just slow.

angus9259":fsg38v2y said:
You should put these pictures over under the thread running about "what do good cattle look like".
Thanks - If I get some spare time today or tomorrow I will try and remember to do that!

Creekdrive I was joking around. If a cow even looks at me weird the horns come off and she is on the trailer within the hour! :lol2:

JWBrahman":8d3km5ex said:
Creekdrive I was joking around. If a cow even looks at me weird the horns come off and she is on the trailer within the hour! :lol2:

JW - I thought maybe you were joking, but I wasn't quite sure. Some guys on here really seem to like horns. :) With the horns off she will bring a little more money when it does come time to send her down the road. Be kind of different to see her with no horns, She has a tag number, but we've always just called her Horns whenever we refer to her. Probably still just call her Horns :lol:

Really nice photos of some darn nice cows! I''d add any of those to my herd! And I love the dark red too, not much fan of the 'mellow yellow' cattle, unless they have some Char in them...

I finally was able to view the photos and I loved them. You have some really nice looking cattle.

Latest posts