FDA threaten organic farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

NCLiz 3

Reaction score
FDA threaten organic farmer
FYI:

HUSTONTOWN, Pa. — Jim Crawford was rushing to load crates of freshly picked organic tomatoes onto trucks heading for an urban farmers market when he noticed the federal agent.

A tense conversation followed as the visitor to his farm — an inspector from the Food and Drug Administration — warned him that some organic-growing techniques he had honed over four decades could soon be outlawed.
"This is my badge. These are the fines. This is what is hanging over your head, and we want you to know that," Crawford says the official told him.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/....story#ixzz2u76NAk1d

HUSTONTOWN, Pa. — Jim Crawford was rushing to load crates of freshly picked organic tomatoes onto trucks heading for an urban farmers market when he noticed the federal agent.

A tense conversation followed as the visitor to his farm — an inspector from the Food and Drug Administration — warned him that some organic-growing techniques he had honed over four decades could soon be outlawed.
"This is my badge. These are the fines. This is what is hanging over your head, and we want you to know that," Crawford says the official told him.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/....story#ixzz2u76NAk1d

Kind of funny... The organic crowd was telling the public how unhealthy conventionally produced food was without any evidence to support their claim. Now the shoes on the other foot.

Doesn't have to do w/ healthy vs unhealthy, or conventional (w/e that is) vs organic (w/e that is)... but rather more govt regulations on food handling, packing, production etc. Some of these rules are ridiculous... can't harvest produce that is within a 3 foot radius of wild animal manure....more paper work, etc etc.

tntblaster11":c1clx05q said:
Doesn't have to do w/ healthy vs unhealthy, or conventional (w/e that is) vs organic (w/e that is)... but rather more govt regulations on food handling, packing, production etc. Some of these rules are ridiculous... can't harvest produce that is within a 3 foot radius of wild animal manure....more paper work, etc etc.

What is ridiculous about that. Do you use uncomposted manure straight into your garden. You must be immune to E coli and lysteria. Don't be fooled I think most "organic " rules are pure :bs: , but that is just common sense.

A neighbor is going organic (corn) this year. He bought one of those big JD sprayers last year ($50K at a minimum, used, probably more). I might have had a nip, and told him I figured most organic farmers cheat. He didn't dispute me. Like the other neighbors with the organic dairy whose soybeans are as weed free as any I've seen. If this organic thing is going to be taken seriously, the farmer is going to have to make a spare bedroom for the inspector. Otherwise, it's a joke. Kroger has a huge "organic" section, with out of season produce which surely comes from Mexico. How much do you trust that?
It's all organic, far as I care. If you want to buy at Whole Foods, go ahead. It's your money.

Yes, I do think it is a little ridiculous. If a deer takes a dump, I can't harvest broccolli, or tomatoes, or corn, or w/e within a 3 foot radius of that plant... Seeing as how GAP and food handling practices also require a wash in a moderate sanitizing solution for much of the produce harvested on farms.. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to harvest. Obviously if there's a huge turd ON the harvestable part of a plant, then don't take it. But if it is on the ground, 3 feet away... not touching my lettuce.. I don't see why not.

And yes, we do use raw manure at times on our personal garden... tilled in 90 days before anything is planted... and do not plant leafy green that will be harvested close to the ground.

My point is that the organic regs (and others) make no sense a lot of times E.g. I went to a nutrient management class the other day... one can apply manure to a cover crop, and not incorporate it, if the cover crop is to be harvested for grain (which makes it a cash crop, not a cover crop but w/e), but if the manure is applied to a cover crop that is to be tilled down... well.. you're not allowed to do that... it has to be injected. Go figure.

Latest posts