Favourite Hybrid System - What makes your best cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

fargus

Reaction score
Pretty simple question. We got on the Simmental X Red Angus bandwagon a few years ago. They are good cows, I won't knock 'em, but the best commercial cows we have produced are Simmental X Shorthorn. They are real easy to feed, travel well, calve easy and have lots of staying power. Doesn't hurt that when we breed 'em Charolais they give big-butted calves with lots of hair that can gain on the poorest pasture we can find for 'em.

What works for everyone else and why?

We haven;t found any one cross that is superior to any other. Our 2nd best and worst cows are Polled Hereford blk Angus F1s. Have a F1 Red Angus Gelbvieh that is at the top and so are her daughters and grandaugthers each with an increasing % of Red Angus.

In a commercial system, I think it would be hard to beat Hereford x Shorthorn cows bred to Charolais bulls. Compact, docile, hardy cows with great maternal characteristics bred to a breed that takes the colour out of them, adds a little muscle and nets a premium. :cowboy:

Simmy X Angus.....

Our most productive have been simmy X the Red Angus variety....

But any Simmental X Angus cross is potent.

My all-around favorites at the present are the baldies bred to a gelbvieh bull.

SimxRed Angus or SimxHereford are real workhorses. Angus/RedangusxHereford w/ a Simmi bull get you great calves. Had some Angus/Gelbviehs that were great, too.

There are a big difference of animals in any single breed, I general I like my cows ( reguardless of size) to look Long , yes and height helps...My point is I like F-1 Black angus Hereford cross...but If you use long cows and long bulls you get a longer calf...If you use good cows and good bulls you usually get good calves, it is important to start with quality animals

It is most important to start with a good dam base then work out what suits you with the sires. Some breeds have failed here in Australia because they have been promoted to perform in all climates. This is incorrect. British and Euros are meant for the cooler climes and Tropicals for the warmer climates. I have found that the Tropicals are much more adaptable to the cold than the British are to the hot. Though in the centre of our desert type country, Shorthorns and Poll Herefords are doing very well. I have seen that some Euros adapt ok to the warmer climes ( but not all of them) Northern Australia ( the hotter part of our country) have two Euro breeds that seem to be doing ok ( in a cross breeding situation ) that is the Charolais and Bazadaise, some Blonde d Aquitaine are used as well.

I have seen that some Euros adapt ok to the warmer climes ( but not all of them) Northern Australia ( the hotter part of our country) have two Euro breeds that seem to be doing ok ( in a cross breeding situation ) that is the Charolais and Bazadaise, some Blonde d Aquitaine are used as well.

Romagnola cattle are another euro breed that has done well in northern Australia used over brahman herds

Andrew

For the severe environment I ranched in Zimbabwe, I ran Tuli, the best cross for our area was the Sussex over Tuli or Africana, very few European breeds coped with our conditions. I crossed Simmental over Tuli for a company in a slightly better (less parasites and diseases) area, stil on native grass, as an F1 damline using Red Angus for the terminal for the company feedlot.
Here in the UK we have pure Aberdeen Angus and native Hereford supplying a niche market for grass fed beef to top London restraunts.

Brahman x Simmental, use anything that doesn't have "ear" back on this cross. Great momma cows for the environment, and excellent calves. I really like a Hereford back on this cross.

Latest posts