Favorite Tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
What are your favorite 'maters. I haven't ordered all our seeds yet and need some input. Ground is still frozen and our last frost is late May so I have some time, not much and Susie is wanting to get the starts going.
Thanks....Dave Mc

Jim62":1a0dwxwx said:
Celebrity
I also like to plant the small grape tomatoes and and pear tomatoes. I have more sucess with the smaller varieties than the larger ones. I think because they mature faster and are not exposed to insects as long.

Thanks folks...put in some little yellow pear tomatoes a couple of years ago and were one of the best that I have tasted. I'm not a tomatoe eater but I found myself grabbing a handfull every time I went to the barn.
DMc

We got something called Jersey Devils or a name that is pretty close to that. Anyways, they were really odd shaped - looked like some sort of pablano(sp) pepper. They were great for salsa and such.

I raised some German pinks one year. Not worth a darn for slicing as mine had a big core in the middle all the way thru but they were huge tomatos and tasted wonderful. I haven't found any plants again.

Purple Cherokee... nice purple color, meaty, and a "smokey" flavor... not really acidic either... YUMMY!

Lemon boy is a nice firm yellow tomatoe, my reds didn't do worth a hoot last year except for the grape ones. The lemon boy are about the size of celebrity, I even canned them, just used more lemon juice for acid when canning!

Sounds like your growing season up there in Washington is the same as ours. We really like "Early Girl"
We cheat and get the plants good size. Lots of golf ball size maters till freeze up.

DavisBeefmasters":306qgwnj said:
Purple Cherokee... nice purple color, meaty, and a "smokey" flavor... not really acidic either... YUMMY!

That description sounds more like a good wine than a mater. :idea:

I don't think I found a tomatoe I didn't like.However this year I planted early girls and yellow cherry tomatoes

Cal

Black Krim

Comice pear tomato from Northern Italy

Taxi a yellow bush variety

Early Girl

I bought one this year I am trying out, haven't harvested anything from it yet. It is called "health kick" and it's suppose to have 50% more Lycopene than regular tomatoes.

The other ones I planted are some of the standard ones listed, beefsteak, jetstar, etc.

...try heirlooms....ANY color...ANY size....HUGE taste variance...DELICIOUS and FUN FUN FUN to try....let me know, I'll send seeds for you to try....John

Latest posts