Favorite Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Galloway

In commercial operations, they just flat work. Maternally orientated, outcross, efficient, carcass, economical growth.

mine is fleckvieh for my favorite they wean huge calves and love a huge steak, for commercially viable it would probobly be balancer cows a balancer bull for replacements and a char bull for terminal

I have lots of favorite breeds. It comes with being a genetics jockey. Jersey would have to be way up on the list since they bought my home and made the downpayment on alot of my farm ground but they have turned into WORK and that's a four letter word so I don't follow the breed as close as I used to.
I guess if I had to just pick one it would be brangus. Especially when you consider that in the market we're in there's little or no discount for ear.

Well my start up herd is Braunvieh and I am really liking them. But with mroe land now available I may expand herd faster than originally planned so not sure what to go with. My local markets like the blacks and smokes best but anything sells better than a RWF around here for some reason. Even things considered exotic so go figure. Solid reds dont get docked like RWF either. I just wish i could get a straight answer as why RWF are hated so much.

brierpatch1974":3kosmmfh said:
Well my start up herd is Braunvieh and I am really liking them. But with mroe land now available I may expand herd faster than originally planned so not sure what to go with. My local markets like the blacks and smokes best but anything sells better than a RWF around here for some reason. Even things considered exotic so go figure. Solid reds dont get docked like RWF either. I just wish i could get a straight answer as why RWF are hated so much.

Buy all those RWF heifers that nobody wants and breed them to anything Homo Blk and laugh all the way to the bank.

3waycross":1nalnoak said:
brierpatch1974":1nalnoak said:

Buy all those RWF heifers that nobody wants and breed them to anything Homo Blk and laugh all the way to the bank.
Theres someone who knows where the money is!

lol now that is a good idea. And they have been going a good 25 to 30 cents cheaper than all the others and even more at times.

salebarn junkie":1spz25iw said:
The reason herford and some f1 herford crosses are docked is because there fleshey most of the easy weight gain is put on at farm not at the feedlot

and they are red

and they are red[/quote]

Thats no kiddin its funny how a red calf and a black calf that are identical other than color can bring such different prices and i agree with you on the herefords too i like white on the face

No, its cause they're hereford. A solid red British type steer here will only bring few pennies less than the blacks. A featherneck will get docked a quarter.

Latest posts