Favorite Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":3qdhn2ym said:
No, its cause they're hereford. A solid red British type steer here will only bring few pennies less than the blacks. A featherneck will get docked a quarter.

Thats how it is here too. Solid reds do pretty good but a rwf will get hammered.

now in this area rwf is rejected out of hand in the dairybeef calf market because the Hereford over Holstein Friesian is bwf but if there's any Jersey in the dam chances are the calf'll be red. No one wants to try growing out a Jersey cross.

I don't have favourite breed/cross yet but it might be Jersey.

Favorite breed = Chianina Would love to have the money to start a 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Chianina herd and stabilize the combo. But commercially viable for Spring calving we started Gert x Hereford mommas with a terminal Angus sire, but if you want more pounds but less per pound then feel free to try a Charlois sire. And for Fall calving Chiangus and Brangus cows we used to use Angus bulls on but now we have switched to Hereford.

u4411clb":v6kxg0wx said:
Favorite breed = Chianina Would love to have the money to start a 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Chianina herd and stabilize the combo. But commercially viable for Spring calving we started Gert x Hereford mommas with a terminal Angus sire, but if you want more pounds but less per pound then feel free to try a Charlois sire. And for Fall calving Chiangus and Brangus cows we used to use Angus bulls on but now we have switched to Hereford.
Excellent move switching to hereford over chiangus and brangus. Is also contend that with a terminal Charolais over those star 5s you'd have more than enough lbs to compensate for the discount in cwt. Just my experience.

salebarn junkie":3c7of1a6 said:
The reason herford and some f1 herford crosses are docked is because there fleshey most of the easy weight gain is put on at farm not at the feedlot
:bs:
I siriously doubt that has anything to do with it, its just that therye red & white

Cross breeder #1":9osi0bxa said:
salebarn junkie":9osi0bxa said:
The reason herford and some f1 herford crosses are docked is because there fleshey most of the easy weight gain is put on at farm not at the feedlot
I siriously doubt that has anything to do with it, its just that therye red & white

Thats a huge crock of poo poo LOL the reason is that all Brahman influenced cattle over 3/8's have below average carcass merits

JS

Ive had angus herford crosses pulled out of a group black calves and discounted and it was because they were fleshy. That was because i used a herford bull. Iam not barn blind. Lol

3waycross":2lrcbn77 said:
brierpatch1974":2lrcbn77 said:
Well my start up herd is Braunvieh and I am really liking them. But with mroe land now available I may expand herd faster than originally planned so not sure what to go with. My local markets like the blacks and smokes best but anything sells better than a RWF around here for some reason. Even things considered exotic so go figure. Solid reds dont get docked like RWF either. I just wish i could get a straight answer as why RWF are hated so much.

Buy all those RWF heifers that nobody wants and breed them to anything Homo Blk and laugh all the way to the bank.

:nod:

I ran 2 black Limi bulls on the commercial cows last summer. One was hetro and turned out to be dominate. Also I AIed herford on the heifers and a couple small cows. Now I am getting a lot of great looking red calves. Some of the rwf will become replacements. We will see at the sales barn with the rest...

Calves w/ nubs or horned cattle? Even out of a horned breed, 5-6mnth old calves shouldn't show enough to get docked much. Dehorning or putting a band on those calves's little nubs is too easy to discount using a horned bull. I'm blown away by the number of people who select inferior stock solely bc theyre polled.

salebarn junkie":11efftrw said:
Ive had angus herford crosses pulled out of a group black calves and discounted and it was because they were fleshy. That was because i used a herford bull. I am not barn blind. Lol

Sounds like you need to own Hereford cross cows and a bony black bull ?

When I started out I needed an easy keeping breed which would cope with the excessive heat and parasites of the Rhodesian bushveld, my military commitment meant the cattle were not monitored much while I was away, the Tuli breed checked all the boxes to thrive and make a profit under extreme conditions, and crossed well with a variety of breeds to meet different market criteria.

JustSimmental":g4z6qvha said:
Cross breeder #1":g4z6qvha said:
salebarn junkie":g4z6qvha said:

Thats a huge crock of poo poo LOL the reason is that all Brahman influenced cattle over 3/8's have below average carcass merits
JS
where did you see, brahman influence mentioned in these post??

Many around here refer to f1 brafords simply as, f1s.

I agree with his premise about herefords though. Many are too early maturing, therefore put on excess fat when on full feed.

3waycross":cfkbmdnv said:
brierpatch1974":cfkbmdnv said:
Well my start up herd is Braunvieh and I am really liking them. But with mroe land now available I may expand herd faster than originally planned so not sure what to go with. My local markets like the blacks and smokes best but anything sells better than a RWF around here for some reason. Even things considered exotic so go figure. Solid reds dont get docked like RWF either. I just wish i could get a straight answer as why RWF are hated so much.

Buy all those RWF heifers that nobody wants and breed them to anything Homo Blk and laugh all the way to the bank.

What is "RWF"?
Thanks

Stepbystep":25lla0yd said:
3waycross":25lla0yd said:
brierpatch1974":25lla0yd said:

What is "RWF"?
Thanks

Red White Faced.

Massey135":3tbicpz5 said:
Many around here refer to f1 brafords simply as, f1s.

I agree with his premise about herefords though. Many are too early maturing, therefore put on excess fat when on full feed.
yeah i know,,, ive raised them.. but they could be talking about a angus/herf F1