Fatalities Caused by Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":7we2v50f said:
Sir Loin":7we2v50f said:
Keren,
Re:
should reports of deaths due to dogs be required reading for anyone thinking they can make a pet out of a dog? Or a horse? Snake?
To answer your question, YES!
Under the right circumstances any animal or reptile can turn on its owner!
Remember animals can only be conditioned not taught and at any time they can revert back to their natural instincts. One instinct is either flight or fight.
Fact is if they can't run away (flight) they will fight.

With that said, I am probably the most guilty person on these boards for making pets out of 2,000 lb bulls.
SL
you missed my point. I just hate how people constantly preach that cattle aren't pets, or shouldn't be pets, because of how dangerous they can be. But the same can not be said of traditional pet species like dogs. No one tells you not to make a pet out of a dog because they can be dangerous. I just think the same should apply to all animals. Because as you said any animal can turn on its owner.

The problem with cattle, or any animal that large, is that they don't have to be vicious to hurt you. But you're dead on about dogs and other traditional pets. More people, usually children, die each year from dog attacks than from cattle yet I've never heard anyone say you shoudn't make a pet out of a dog.

JS,
Re:
I had a vet tell me he couldn't fix an abscess in a bulls foot
This makes no sense to me.
Does this vet not know how to treat an abscess, period?
Or just not in a foot?
Or just not in a bulls?

How does he know it is an abscess?
If he had the foot up to see the abscess, then he should have treated it then.
If he did not have the foot up, again, how does he know it is abscess?

If I put down ever animal that had an abscessed foot it would cut my herd in half in two years.
IMO, get a new vet or learn to treat a foot abscess yourself. If that is what it really was.

As far as dispatching an animal, I don't have a problem with it.
SL

The bull was in a lease pasture that is 70% woods.. its 500 acres.. I hadnt seen the bull in about a month .. which isn't odd because I don't see some of the cows for that long. By the time I found him and got him to the pens the hole was about an inch and a half around . Foot was the size of a basket ball .. gave him anti biotic . And brought him to the vet .. vet said it was already infected in the joint and the hoof was dead ... More money to save him than what he was worth ..and wouldn't hold up for breeding ...

I got a cow that has been stove up in the front end for a month. I have examined hoof's, joints and can't find a thing wrong. At first I thought she had stepped in a hole, I am beginning to think it was a cow fight and two or three ganged up on her. I put her up in the bull lot and she is slowly improving.

I have seen foot abscesses that were unfixable... even though they were identified and treated early.
'tis merely an indication of too much experience, being able to recognise such.

I take offence to the mention of bottle calves in this thread - nearly every animal I own has been hand-reared. You're not trying to tell me they're more dangerous than your average free-range cow you've brought into yards?
I'd much rather work with a well-handled, placid cow than one nervous of people - and both animals can be hand-reared, only one has learned trust and the other fear.

regolith":3qv6r28h said:
I have seen foot abscesses that were unfixable... even though they were identified and treated early.
'tis merely an indication of too much experience, being able to recognize such.

I take offense to the mention of bottle calves in this thread - nearly every animal I own has been hand-reared. You're not trying to tell me they're more dangerous than your average free-range cow you've brought into yards?
I'd much rather work with a well-handled, placid cow than one nervous of people - and both animals can be hand-reared, only one has learned trust and the other fear.

Hand reared calves in groups develops natural behavior, while the odd orphan from a beef herd, reared on the bottle, can develop strange behaviour, with a lack of respect for humans.

regolith":2984cvy7 said:
'tis merely an indication of too much experience, being able to recognise such.

I take offence to the mention of bottle calves in this thread - nearly every animal I own has been hand-reared. You're not trying to tell me they're more dangerous than your average free-range cow you've brought into yards?

My hunch is that the people who have raised the animal "like a pet" may tend to let their guard down and take for granted the inherently wild nature still deep in the soul of the beast. That's when the injuries most likely occur. Handler negligence.

A 75 year old man was trying to put an ear tag in a calf. The momma cow was penned up and somehow got out, and stomped the man to death. This cow was raised on the farm and was not known to be aggressive. It only takes one time.

Don't matter if cattle are so called pets or not if your around them and you don't have a planned excape route your just flirtin with the undertaker. :2cents:
That is unless you can read their mind and know cow language. :lol:

Cal

Not caused by cattle but...

Palmyra, MO — About 9:19 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 21, the Marion county Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a 9-1-1 call at 1300 Pocahontas.
Information to the sheriff's office was a man down in a harvested field just outside the Palmyra city limits.
During the investigation, it was determined that Gary W. Bradney was working in the field on a tractor trailer unit that was full of corn, and was supposedly working under the tractor trailer unit when a second employee began operating the unit to transport it to a local repair shop for maintenance. The trailer portion rolled over Bradney causing his death.
Marion County Coroner Darrell McCoy was called to the scene and pronounced the victim deceased at 9:47 a.m. Services are pending at the Lewis Brothers Funeral Home in Palmyra. McCoy ordered an autopsy to be performed today, Sept. 22, in Columbia, Mo.
No foul play is suspected. Palmyra Police Department responded and assisted the sheriff's office at the scene.

Copyright 2011 Hannibal Courier-Post. Some rights reserved

Keren":2vskggly said:
I think if you raise a bottle baby properly its fine. But too many new people bottle raise one without understanding them and that's when you get behavioural issues

True!

I've been advised by cattlemen to NEVER try to make a "pet" out of a bull. The reason is that it causes the bull to lose its fear of you and thus be more likely to take a swipe at you.

The problem with hand raised foals and calves to me is the people that forget they become 1,000 plus pound animals. They aren't lap dogs. I would rather train a mustang fresh from adoption than a spoiled brat foal hand raised like a human baby. The process of this type of raising just messes with their minds, they don't know if they are a calf, horse or person. Generally they are the more dangerous ones. Farrowing crates to me were designed for the farmer's safety as well as the piglets safety. Nothing meaner, more agile or determined than an overprotective sow.

Farmerjon":10d2buco said:
The problem with hand raised foals and calves to me is the people that forget they become 1,000 plus pound animals. They aren't lap dogs. I would rather train a mustang fresh from adoption than a spoiled brat foal hand raised like a human baby. The process of this type of raising just messes with their minds, they don't know if they are a calf, horse or person. Generally they are the more dangerous ones. Farrowing crates to me were designed for the farmer's safety as well as the piglets safety. Nothing meaner, more agile or determined than an overprotective sow.

I agree here too.

fit2btied":1o2mxb12 said:
Not caused by cattle but...

Palmyra, MO — About 9:19 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 21, the Marion county Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a 9-1-1 call at 1300 Pocahontas.
Information to the sheriff's office was a man down in a harvested field just outside the Palmyra city limits.
During the investigation, it was determined that Gary W. Bradney was working in the field on a tractor trailer unit that was full of corn, and was supposedly working under the tractor trailer unit when a second employee began operating the unit to transport it to a local repair shop for maintenance. The trailer portion rolled over Bradney causing his death.
Marion County Coroner Darrell McCoy was called to the scene and pronounced the victim deceased at 9:47 a.m. Services are pending at the Lewis Brothers Funeral Home in Palmyra. McCoy ordered an autopsy to be performed today, Sept. 22, in Columbia, Mo.
No foul play is suspected. Palmyra Police Department responded and assisted the sheriff's office at the scene.

Copyright 2011 Hannibal Courier-Post. Some rights reserved

Well you guys realize that yours is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world right?

Latest posts