Fat supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
What fat supplements would you recommend? I have some bulls and females of various ages that could use a little fat added to their diet.

Several people around here add a little cooking oil to the feed, it seems to add a layer of fat and slicks them up nicely, or my cure is usually a little Calf-manna to the feed. good luck

What i uses is rolled corn. The price for it right now isnt to bad since the corn prices are starting to rise. But if you dont prefer rolled corn you could try using peanut oil. Gives them that fat and it does wonders for their coat.

We use wheat germ oil along with some corn. I think it does just the same as all the other suggestions above.

Keren":2zt634u8 said:
I've used rice pollard when my steers needed to lay down fat fast. But it can be very dangerous, so it must be used carefully.

What exactly is rice pollard? I have never heard of it before.

We use Golden Flo, comes in a 5 gallon bucket. You can get it from Sullivansupply.com
Its very costly but we can't use corn because it will burn the hair off our show stock. The 5 gallon bucket cost, $57.00 plus shipping. We use 1 cup morning and night and last a long time.
Another food supplement we use to put weight on faster is Magic, 1 gallon and cost $45.00 each plus shipping. We use this on steers that need to gain a couple hundred pounds fast. Works great in time of need.
Hope this helps.

Ryan said:
What fat supplements would you recommend? I have some bulls and females of various ages that could use a little fat added to their diet.[/quote

You can use rolled corn, magic, or Showmasters "PowerPhat" It will put weight on your cattle fast, but very exspensive 25lbs goes for $50. But watch using corn oil, your cattle can bloat due to much corn in their diet.

Honestly, I dont know what rice pollard is, except that it comes off of some part of the rice plant (lol), it comes in a power form and is GREAT for laying down fat when added to a ration. But it can kill them if you give it in too high a dose. Honestly, one year my group of steers were too lean - we scanned them a fortnight before the show and they all needed to gain around 5 ml of fat. I put them on the rice pollard - about 200 grams to around 8 kg of feed (dont quote me on that, it was a few years ago and I'm only guesstimating) and by the show they were all within specs.

Keren":2c47uk7i said:
Honestly, I dont know what rice pollard is, except that it comes off of some part of the rice plant (lol), it comes in a power form and is GREAT for laying down fat when added to a ration. But it can kill them if you give it in too high a dose. Honestly, one year my group of steers were too lean - we scanned them a fortnight before the show and they all needed to gain around 5 ml of fat. I put them on the rice pollard - about 200 grams to around 8 kg of feed (dont quote me on that, it was a few years ago and I'm only guesstimating) and by the show they were all within specs.
just wondering what is a fortnight??

Keren":1o3nrlsf said:
we scanned them a fortnight before the show and they all needed to gain around 5 ml of fat. I put them on the rice pollard - about 200 grams to around 8 kg of feed (dont quote me on that, it was a few years ago and I'm only guesstimating) and by the show they were all within specs.

Keren: I was wondering, what did you mean by scanned? How do you do this?

Misty":3u6qwng6 said:
we used a moormans product called natural glo.
It is wonderful stuff.

The Natural Glo really is great stuff. It was developed as an energy supplement for race horses, which would make them more calm rather than hyperactive. It's 100% extruded rice bran; 22% fat, highly digestible, and will make the hair thicker, longer, more manageable, and really shine. Add 1 - 2 pounds per day to your normal ration.

show steer up":35hvf2d2 said:
Keren":35hvf2d2 said:
we scanned them a fortnight before the show and they all needed to gain around 5 ml of fat. I put them on the rice pollard - about 200 grams to around 8 kg of feed (dont quote me on that, it was a few years ago and I'm only guesstimating) and by the show they were all within specs.

Ultrasonongraphy - we take a measurement of rib and P8 (rump) fat as well as a measure of eye muscle area on the 12th/13th rib. We generally do this one to two months before the show, then a couple of weeks before to see how they are going and alter their feed if necessary. Our steer shows have very defined specifications for fat depth. When they are at the show, all steers get scanned and this information is available to the judge at the live judging. The fat on the carcase is then measured at the same points on the beast.

This happens for the steers at all our major shows, and they get weighed as well. Bulls also get scanned for fat depth, eye muscle area and weighed as well. Heifers and cows do not get weighed or scanned.

Does this not happen in America?

no we usually dont do this. but you know that would be a good idea that way you know how much condtion he has on him exactly.

Keren":144i0dti said:
show steer up":144i0dti said:
Keren":144i0dti said:

Ultrasonongraphy - we take a measurement of rib and P8 (rump) fat as well as a measure of eye muscle area on the 12th/13th rib. We generally do this one to two months before the show, then a couple of weeks before to see how they are going and alter their feed if necessary. Our steer shows have very defined specifications for fat depth. When they are at the show, all steers get scanned and this information is available to the judge at the live judging. The fat on the carcase is then measured at the same points on the beast.

This happens for the steers at all our major shows, and they get weighed as well. Bulls also get scanned for fat depth, eye muscle area and weighed as well. Heifers and cows do not get weighed or scanned.

Does this not happen in America?

Our county ultrasounds for our carcass contest. A few years back all the carcass contest steers got sent to the hook and judged that way, but they changed it becuase some kids that were signed up to do this contest couldn't becuase the buyer didn't want to send the steer to that particular locker plant. (which I don't blame them, this place is down right dirty, they steal your meat, and replace it with some old gummer that someone wanted to be hamburger...but that is besides the point ;-) )

[quote
Does this not happen in America?[/quote]

Wow and I thought our shows where tough. How much does one of thoese ultra sounds cost?

I mainly did it a few years ago when I was really into the steers - I'd be taking between 15 and 20 steers to each show. It didnt cost us anything because I had a good mate who was doing scanning for a living. At the shows the fat scans dont cost, because they're compulsory, but there is usually a fee of around $10/hd if you want the EMA scanned.

It is not 100% accurate - there are discrepancies, but it is a good guide.

At work we are currently looking at buying a scanner so we can do preg. scanning of the stud does and market scans on the wethers before we turn them off. We are looking at around about $8500, which isnt too bad considering the benefits you get from it.

Latest posts