Feed Supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

ilfarmer92

Reaction score
Really having a problem with some of our herfs hair. Thinkin about adding supplements, so I checked out the Sullivan's catalog to see what they had. I finally came up with Show Bloom, as we've used it before and had good luck, but what also caught my eye was Kirk Stierwalt's SHAG product. Just wanted to know how many people have used SHAG, and how they thought it compared up to Show Bloom. Of course the price is different, but me and my wife got to talkin and if this SHAG stuff is really good we might go with that. Sorry this is kind of long, just wanted to see if the price of SHAG is because it works, rather than just buying Stierwalt's name.

we have used Shag and it works. We were adding different ingredents and figured up the cost and went with Shag. It also has all the vitamins and minerals in it. The biotin will make the hoofs hard.

I forgot to add, Shag works, but it works with and along with several other things. Keeping a fan on them, rinsing the animal. Make sure you get under the belly. Keeping them clean, using some hair preparations. I have probably forgot something. If you get a chance go to one of Stierwalt's clinics. We have him here every year.

I have thought about trying Shag just because of the ingredients, but theres also Grow and Shine. It has a lot of the same ingrediants of Shag, but for now, I will stick with Showbloom. I have used it for years and have had good results with it and as they say, don't fix it if it aint broke.

r and s peckman":1g0evjfc said:
If you get a chance go to one of Stierwalt's clinics. We have him here every year.

I spent 4 days at his house, it was well worth the money.

I've been too one of his clinics, and that's how this Shag stuff caught my eye. I think one of the factors with our hair is that its been a warm fall this year. Who would think all the grand kids would be outside playin with out a coat on Thanksgiving afternoon? Thanks alot guys... I think we may go with a few on ShowBloom and a few on Shag.

I have mentioned this product before, but thought I might as well bring it up again. ADM Alliance Nutrition makes a supplement designed for performance horses called Natural Glo.
http://www.admani.com/AllianceEquine/NaturalGlo.htm
It is a 100% extruded Rice Bran with a fat content of 20%. When fed 1 - 2 pounds per day to show cattle, it will encourage hair growth, but even more, will improve hair quality, shine, thickness, and manageability. It will also trigger a natural occurring steroid causing muscle growth. I have not fed Natural Glo in two or three years, so I do not know how it compares in price. Of course, a quality mineral must be fed in addition to the Natural Glo.

Natural Glo + Mineral worked much better for us than Showbloom.

Show Bloom and Purina Grand 4 T Fyer put more hair on our heifers this year than ever before. Had more hair than most of the cattle at the NAILE.

Of course our cattle get washed and dried several times a day. They are in a 15 acre pasture with a pond so they spent a lot of time in and out of the pond this summer. :D :D :D

I have personally never tried Shag. (afterall...im not made of money ;-) ) That is why we use Melatonin. You can get it everywhere and in large quantities as well. Grows hair like no other and if you calf has a little attitude, it will take the edge off.

That is what has worked for us, and it doesn't cost a ton!! :p