Farmers Hobby

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
We have discussed Hobby Farmers in detail. Was curious what kind of hobbies some on here enjoyed when not tending the cattle?

Personally we like camping in the hills (not in KS of course) and riding our mules. Also like to spend time with kids at Lake skiing in the summer. Enjoy fishing, and use to like to Quail hunt back when we had quail here :( I also like to play League Pool (APA) And like spending time working on collector cars.

WHEN I have some free time I like to ride and work on my bike (motorcycle) believe it or not. Seems strange for an old country boy huh?

I learned to weld by necessity repairing my farm equipment. I also like as sort of a hobby to build stuff by welding pieces together.

I haven't rode the bike or welded in over a month. Too much work going on building a horse barn, adding on to my hay barn, building new fences, you get the idea. Contrary to what someone insinuated, I hit the floor a running at 5:30AM everyday. I wish he would try to keep up with me. ;-)

I'd have to say spending time with my Wife and Kids. We do everything together. Fishing, and Hunting, and Farm Improvement. next would have to be riding Horses.

Crowderfarms":2oeyiahr said:
I'd have to say spending time with my Wife and Kids. We do everything together. Fishing, and Hunting, and Farm Improvement. next would have to be riding Horses.

Oh boy could I jump on this one. :lol: :D :lol: :D ;-)

Oops highjacked.

flaboy+":p3kfg1e2 said:
WHEN I have some free time I like to ride and work on my bike (motorcycle) believe it or not. Seems strange for an old country boy huh?

Up till last year I still had a KTM 300 Dirt-bike. Been riding Motorcycles since I was 7. Had a bad wreck when I was 12 and ended up with a bad leg out of the deal but still could not give up the riding. But getting to fat and old to ride Dirt-bikes anymore. So have switched over to Mules lately, not as exciting but if you ride some rough terrain and some rocky mountains it can still be invigorating.

aplusmnt":10wo4dqz said:
flaboy+":10wo4dqz said:

Up till last year I still had a KTM 300 Dirt-bike. Been riding Motorcycles since I was 7. Had a bad wreck when I was 12 and ended up with a bad leg out of the deal but still could not give up the riding. But getting to fat and old to ride Dirt-bikes anymore. So have switched over to Mules lately, not as exciting but if you ride some rough terrain and some rocky mountains it can still be invigorating.
I got out of the Mule business a couple years ago. Now my Mule says Kawasaki on it.

Crowderfarms":in6y2o0j said:
aplusmnt":in6y2o0j said:
flaboy+":in6y2o0j said:

I got out of the Mule business a couple years ago. Now my Mule says Kawasaki on it.

I would bet there is some good Mule riding in TN rather it be on one named Kawasaki or Molly. Friend of mine came down there from Oklahoma to ride with a friend of his, he sure liked it. We have some small mountains (big hills) fairly close but been wanting to ride somewhere like New Mexico, or TN

aplusmnt":2f3u7xkg said:
Crowderfarms":2f3u7xkg said:
aplusmnt":2f3u7xkg said:
flaboy+":2f3u7xkg said:

I would bet there is some good Mule riding in TN rather it be on one named Kawasaki or Molly. Friend of mine came down there from Oklahoma to ride with a friend of his, he sure liked it. We have some small mountains (big hills) fairly close but been wanting to ride somewhere like New Mexico, or TN
There's a place not far away from here that has 1300 acres of trails, and some incredible scenery and terrain.

Crowderfarms":2w3defar said:
aplusmnt":2w3defar said:
Crowderfarms":2w3defar said:
aplusmnt":2w3defar said:
flaboy+":2w3defar said:

There's a place not far away from here that has 1300 acres of trails, and some incredible scenery and terrain.
Is this near the university of the south in sewanee tenn?

warpaint":q05cfuwj said:
Now that is some purty country, Alacowman. :cboy:

Come on warpaint. Go ahead and tell eveyrone your hobby is kissing cows. :lol: :shock:

When I've got a moment between ranch, darn day job, riding herd on Honey and the kidlings, if the weather is decent you'll find me outside starting colts.

Didn't get a chance to do any fishing or hunting last year...oh, well, hopefully I'll survive long enough to get a chance this year.

Indoor hobbies (besides reading the posts on CT) are oil painting, drawing in pastels, charcoal, conte, graphite, and unfortunately laundry must be my favorite hobby as I sure spend a lot of time doing it. ;-)

Take care.

We like to spend time on the boat, Susie loves the sun and I get anxious just sitting around doing nothing so I read and fish.
Travel...the bride wants a 5th wheel and I'm not going to hear the end of it until we get one, at least I'll get a new truck out of the deal.

flaboy+":16jutqxz said:
warpaint":16jutqxz said:
Now that is some purty country, Alacowman. :cboy:

Come on warpaint. Go ahead and tell eveyrone your hobby is kissing cows. :lol: :shock:

Hey warpaint that's my hobby too! We like trail riding and playing with our granddaughter... sappy huh? I guess really the ranch is my hobby.... 7 horses, 20 head of Polled Herefords, 8 head of Boar goats, and 9 Rhode Island Reds, who has time for anything else, but love those eggs and the country life :D .

Alan

I used to find more time for hobbies. My husband and I decided to build our own house last year and it would have been finished this summer but we got flooded a few times and spent the summer just clearing up the damage on the house and ranch so we are still working on the house. Painting is NOT a hobby! :roll:
When I do have time for myself I use it for Bible study, and reading. I nearly always have a book in my hand. I am about to start learning New Testament Greek and I like to come here.
I also like to get out and spend some time with my horse and my husband and I ride together. We used to do it more before house building but we'll get back into that again.
Sunday evenings we also like to go to my mother's house for some Chinese food and play some cards.
It can be hard to get me away from my cows though, they are my job and my hobby.;)

Alone time (rare) expanding and tending to flower gardens or reading.

As kids get older they are more involved with extra-curricular activities that take up more time, as well as ever improving the farm operation, I find I get no alone time.....I may have to give up sleep for that :D !

I like to spend my time hunting, horseback, camping, 4-wheeling, hunting, welding, building things, going to the auctions, traping, reading, working on new projects around the farm, and hunting. Did I miss anything? :lol:

sidney411":38uarago said:
I like to spend my time hunting, horseback, camping, 4-wheeling, hunting, welding, building things, going to the auctions, traping, reading, working on new projects around the farm, and hunting. Did I miss anything? :lol:

You forgot HUNTING. :D

Latest posts