• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farmer suicide

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
Suicide among farmers is high relative to the population. Its a tough business but most businesses are tough.

Regarding reaching out, a forum is not a likely place to do that. I have only met four or five people who participate here. Fire Sweep and TT are close friends that perhaps I might be in a position to reach out to them. Maybe other users form closer relationships but I would never presume someone needed help based on their posts.

That is a sad story. Does not matter whether a farmer or a logger. In my frame of reference, suicide does not fit my personality. I was raised with very little. I left home with nothing and I don't need much. I have more than I need right now. I might be too optimistic but I figure, I can always survive and find some rewards to live for.
 
OP
OwnedByTheCow

OwnedByTheCow

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 3, 2014
Messages
484
Reaction score
0
Location
Nowhere New Hampshire
It might not be the place quite, but sometimes it is considerably easier to reach out to someone who doesn't have a biased. That I know from personal events that have shaped my knowledge of suicide. Sometimes it's easier depending on the person and I really hope that if that is what someone needs is to reach out to someone they barely know for even just a chat then that they do that and know that they can do that. And maybe it's not based on their posts. But if someone felt compelled to message someone about even a little bit of anything that they would.

These last couple years have been the worst drought that my state has seen in decades. So bad that 22 farms went out of business. It could happen to anyone.
 
OP
OwnedByTheCow

OwnedByTheCow

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 3, 2014
Messages
484
Reaction score
0
Location
Nowhere New Hampshire
My best friend was suicidal for many years and that really gave me an idea of how she needed help. Sometimes it is about knowing who you can talk to when mentally you don't think anyone would understand. I don't mean to be preachy but I guess I know more about it then I wish to.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
OwnedByTheCow":ht5pfoty said:
My best friend was suicidal for many years and that really gave me an idea of how she needed help. Sometimes it is about knowing who you can talk to when mentally you don't think anyone would understand. I don't mean to be preachy but I guess I know more about it then I wish to.

I don't mean this to sound heartless but how can someone be suicidal for years? Everyone I know whose committed suicide did so without whining to everyone about their plight in life. They just did it. Though everyone was shocked at their suicide most found it understandable after the fact and all their deaths occurred fairly quickly after their depression set in.

My friend's mother is what I would call a hypochondriac. She can suck the life out of a room in a heartbeat with her constant whining and complaining and pity the person's ears who asks her how she is doing. It got so bad my friend pulled out his father's pistol and laid it on her counter and told her that if he was in as bad of shape as she claimed to be then he would take this pistol and blow his brains out. For good reason she got upset with him but she is still kicking and still sucking the life out of the room but in a strange way this seems to be what makes her happy and apparently this is her way of getting attention and its obvious she requires more attention than an infant.
 

JWBrahman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
1,636
Reaction score
5
Owned by the cow this doesn't seem like the suicide crowd. The regulars tend to be a group with a two fisted grip on life that tend to get twice as stubborn when facing life's hurdles.

I grew up POOR. Don't ever remember a time before I was making my own money when I wasn't HUNGRY. I intend to be the last man standing, and even then don't count me out until you see my bones bleached by the sun.
 

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
JWBrahman":1n85wmoz said:
Owned by the cow this doesn't seem like the suicide crowd. The regulars tend to be a group with a two fisted grip on life that tend to get twice as stubborn when facing life's hurdles.

I grew up POOR. Don't ever remember a time before I was making my own money when I wasn't HUNGRY. I intend to be the last man standing, and even then don't count me out until you see my bones bleached by the sun.

No. I am going to be the last "man" standing. But I bet there are a bunch of tough "gays" that will be still standing after you and I are gone.

:lol:
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
11
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
Went through a bout of depression, it ain't no cake walk...working a regular job and coming in and working on the farm.sometimes by truck light..id catch myself wringing the steering wheel of the tractor..heart rate was through the roof. Finally took its toll. I just shut down couldn't even think straight.finally got help from a ol country doc.
 

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
ALACOWMAN":2sxzo8y8 said:
Went through a bout of depression, it ain't no cake walk...working a regular job and coming in and working on the farm.sometimes by truck light..id catch myself wringing the steering wheel of the tractor..heart rate was through the roof. Finally took its toll. I just shut down couldn't even think straight.finally got help from a ol country doc.

Not been in those circumstances but I worked on a team project with a coworker who had depression and anxiety. It was reflected in her face. You could see that she was strung as tight as a banjo string. The treatment she was on was also an issue. She would blow up in public meetings, then feel severe guilt for her display. It was very sad to see her suffer.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
11
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
I had both too,friends and family would say you need to snap out of it..wished it were that simple,,. I'da been cured years before..
 

BK9954

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2015
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
Life really sucks sometimes. You can lose everything, divorce, job. My parents have lost 2 children. I am the last one. We dont know why these things happen. Sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes people can slip into that dark lonely place of depression and it can be hard to get out. The prophet Elijah had this happen to him. He let himself get alone, not good to be alone when you are depressed. The thing that I think about is that quicker then a blink of an eye you will be in front of the Lord God, with your blood on your hands, saying this is what I did with the life you gave to me. The fear of the Lord the Bible speaks of is a real and healthy thing to have. God is loving and Holy, to be Holy means He must keep justice and His word, which we will give an account for our actions. I dont want to be covered by my blood on that day, only the blood of His Son. I have done some things in my life that only that blood can cover.
 

TennesseeTuxedo

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2011
Messages
15,856
Reaction score
47
Location
Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
BK9954":oqwef1kh said:
Life really sucks sometimes. You can lose everything, divorce, job. My parents have lost 2 children. I am the last one. We dont know why these things happen. Sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes people can slip into that dark lonely place of depression and it can be hard to get out. The prophet Elijah had this happen to him. He let himself get alone, not good to be alone when you are depressed. The thing that I think about is that quicker then a blink of an eye you will be in front of the Lord God, with your blood on your hands, saying this is what I did with the life you gave to me. The fear of the Lord the Bible speaks of is a real and healthy thing to have. God is loving and Holy, to be Holy means He must keep justice and His word, which we will give an account for our actions. I dont want to be covered by my blood on that day, only the blood of His Son. I have done some things in my life that only that blood can cover.

Powerful words.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,030
Reaction score
140
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
I know a girl close to 20 years ago who had frequent serious depression... her fa.ily was useless.. and probably clueless as well. She wasn't the popular girl and didn't have much for friends... lots of crappy, abusive relationships.
There were many nights when she said she felt like killing herself... how serious was she? I guess only she knows... what I know is I took many trips to her town about 30 miles away and we'd go for coffee and talk a few hours... I'll never know what would have happened, but I'm glad I made those trips.
Another girl who wasn't suicidal (to my knowledge ) but also went through a lot of rough spells with bad relationships I just spoke to a lot via texting, etc and tried to give a little non judgemental advice.. things got better and I didn't hear much from her for a long time... last year we met up for a coffee again and she thanked me for listening and being there, despite the fact she didn't reciprocate as she should have and was sorry for that. Really exceptionally rare to hear that, and it did me a lot of good to know that my lost sleep mattered somewhere along the line
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top