Farmer suicide

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TennesseeTuxedo":3i5fzdlj said:
BK9954":3i5fzdlj said:
Life really sucks sometimes. You can lose everything, divorce, job. My parents have lost 2 children. I am the last one. We dont know why these things happen. Sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes people can slip into that dark lonely place of depression and it can be hard to get out. The prophet Elijah had this happen to him. He let himself get alone, not good to be alone when you are depressed. The thing that I think about is that quicker then a blink of an eye you will be in front of the Lord God, with your blood on your hands, saying this is what I did with the life you gave to me. The fear of the Lord the Bible speaks of is a real and healthy thing to have. God is loving and Holy, to be Holy means He must keep justice and His word, which we will give an account for our actions. I dont want to be covered by my blood on that day, only the blood of His Son. I have done some things in my life that only that blood can cover.

Powerful words.

This fear you mention is not a fear, like I will get in trouble if I violate a request from my parents, if is more understood in today's verbage as respect. Taking one's life is not how life should end, but it does not separate you from God.

ALACOWMAN":28dmooen said:
Went through a bout of depression, it ain't no cake walk...working a regular job and coming in and working on the farm.sometimes by truck light..id catch myself wringing the steering wheel of the tractor..heart rate was through the roof. Finally took its toll. I just shut down couldn't even think straight.finally got help from a ol country doc.

Depression is a terrible thing. Not as clear and simple as some may think it is.

As to Joe's comments about suicide, the folks that I knew, who took their own life, gave very little to NO indication that they were going to take their own lives. Only 1 fellow that I worked with, at the rescue squad, never said anything about it but you could tell he was not a happy man. Before I could ask him or talk with him about it, he was found dead on an off-ramp of the interstate with an empty pill bottle.

Workinonit Farm":1k8oilcg said:
ALACOWMAN":1k8oilcg said:
Went through a bout of depression, it ain't no cake walk...working a regular job and coming in and working on the farm.sometimes by truck light..id catch myself wringing the steering wheel of the tractor..heart rate was through the roof. Finally took its toll. I just shut down couldn't even think straight.finally got help from a ol country doc.

Depression is a terrible thing. Not as clear and simple as some may think it is.

As to Joe's comments about suicide, the folks that I knew, who took their own life, gave very little to NO indication that they were going to take their own lives. Only 1 fellow that I worked with, at the rescue squad, never said anything about it but you could tell he was not a happy man. Before I could ask him or talk with him about it, he was found dead on an off-ramp of the interstate with an empty pill bottle.

The seriously troubled generally don't talk about it, they do it.

I really don't think browbeating someone suffering from serious depression with religion will help anything.. I'm of the opinion that encouragement is far more effective than any sort of condemnation... Suicidal people don't care about consequences any more than serial killers do

I believe the fear is just as the Bible says...fear not the one that can kill the body, but rather the one that can kill the body and soul....hard to respect some human that wants to kill me....

Workinonit Farm":29clsj46 said:
ALACOWMAN":29clsj46 said:

and I've seen right the opposite to, someone that seemed happy as a lark..... make you say didn't see that coming ....

D2Cat":14i9k4fg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":14i9k4fg said:
BK9954":14i9k4fg said:
Life really sucks sometimes. You can lose everything, divorce, job. My parents have lost 2 children. I am the last one. We dont know why these things happen. Sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes people can slip into that dark lonely place of depression and it can be hard to get out. The prophet Elijah had this happen to him. He let himself get alone, not good to be alone when you are depressed. The thing that I think about is that quicker then a blink of an eye you will be in front of the Lord God, with your blood on your hands, saying this is what I did with the life you gave to me. The fear of the Lord the Bible speaks of is a real and healthy thing to have. God is loving and Holy, to be Holy means He must keep justice and His word, which we will give an account for our actions. I dont want to be covered by my blood on that day, only the blood of His Son. I have done some things in my life that only that blood can cover.

Powerful words.

This fear you mention is not a fear, like I will get in trouble if I violate a request from my parents, if is more understood in today's verbage as respect. Taking one's life is not how life should end, but it does not separate you from God.
Correct and debatable. To fear the Lord is to stand in awe, have respect. The Lord delights in those that fear Him. The evil do not fear the Lord. In some religions it says suicide is an unforgivable sin, not in mine, but why put it to the test.

A lot of things can trigger depression, drug use, alcohol anything that screws up the balance,pregnancy,open heart surgery....etc

Craig Miller":qrertcie said:
Just came across this...i think Google was spying on my again. I think they are in with facebook.....

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/11/landmar ... 238e1cda7c
If you use FIREFOX browser and set the setting to delete browsing history after closing you will not have that problem, atleast I dont. I have not used Chrome or Internet Explorer in years.

Bright Raven":1dn8g531 said:
JWBrahman":1dn8g531 said:
Owned by the cow this doesn't seem like the suicide crowd. The regulars tend to be a group with a two fisted grip on life that tend to get twice as stubborn when facing life's hurdles.

I grew up POOR. Don't ever remember a time before I was making my own money when I wasn't HUNGRY. I intend to be the last man standing, and even then don't count me out until you see my bones bleached by the sun.

No. I am going to be the last "man" standing. But I bet there are a bunch of tough "gays" that will be still standing after you and I are gone.

:lol:

Maybe so.

Could be we were born on the chip on the shoulder day. Ol Fidel Castro had a few bad feelings leveled in his direction over the years. He held on pretty tight.
:lol2:

JWBrahman":9jxtip63 said:
Bright Raven":9jxtip63 said:
JWBrahman":9jxtip63 said:
Owned by the cow this doesn't seem like the suicide crowd. The regulars tend to be a group with a two fisted grip on life that tend to get twice as stubborn when facing life's hurdles.

I grew up POOR. Don't ever remember a time before I was making my own money when I wasn't HUNGRY. I intend to be the last man standing, and even then don't count me out until you see my bones bleached by the sun.

No. I am going to be the last "man" standing. But I bet there are a bunch of tough "gays" that will be still standing after you and I are gone.

Maybe so.

Could be we were born on the chip on the shoulder day. Ol Fidel Castro had a few bad feelings leveled in his direction over the years. He held on pretty tight.
:lol2:

That day shall live in infamy. I forgot that we share it with Castro. :D

Bright Raven":287g0vh7 said:
JWBrahman":287g0vh7 said:

walking 'round in wimmen's underwear?

Jogeephus":333mp2ad said:
My friend's mother is what I would call a hypochondriac. She can suck the life out of a room in a heartbeat with her constant whining and complaining and pity the person's ears who asks her how she is doing. It got so bad my friend pulled out his father's pistol and laid it on her counter and told her that if he was in as bad of shape as she claimed to be then he would take this pistol and blow his brains out. For good reason she got upset with him but she is still kicking and still sucking the life out of the room but in a strange way this seems to be what makes her happy and apparently this is her way of getting attention and its obvious she requires more attention than an infant.

I have met people like that. Mostly women but men too. It's their way of socializing I suppose. Went to a family reunion some years ago, and all the men were sitting outside.One of the older uncles started talking about all his ailments and all the medications and procedures he had been thru and next thing I know everyone there was speaking about their own medical problems. I got up and went inside and sat with the women, only to find they were all talking about the men, and their husbands' medical problems, which wasn't much better. I got up, drove down the road and watched one of the neighbors working some cows..
Over on the "family cow' type boards, that's all you see..medical excuses why they can't do this..can't do that...blah blah blah blah-wah, wah,wah, wah wah.

Then there's a bunch that have moved to Texas from out West (mostly Colo and Calif) and brought all their new age idiosyncrasies with them. Makes my skin crawl.
I wonder sometimes, how this country ever got settled if that's the way it's always been.
I'm not without my own medical conditions, but dammed if I'm going to let it dictate everything I do or don't do.

greybeard":1oohc3ep said:
Over on the "family cow' type boards, that's all you see..medical excuses why they can't do this..can't do that...blah blah blah blah-wah, wah,wah, wah wah.

I know what you mean and I think some would think this suicidal tendencies but I disagree because I think they are enjoying their poor health and the attention it gets them to end their parade. Some, I think, waller in their own self pity as a cry for attention more than help and I don't believe these people are suicidal and can't wrap my head around anyone who claims to be suicidal for years. Someone mentioned that dark place of depression and I think this is real but think people who get to this point choose to be alone in that place and they get in the place within just a few months and these are the ones who end up committing suicide. Only exception I can think of to this are people who've had dealings with the Clinton's.

ALACOWMAN":1virzsrf said:
Glad you were man enough to admit you needed help to beat depression.It is a disease just like any other and cannot be overcome by "just being strong".Most of us grew up in the era when mental issues were thought to be weakness or character flaws.Something o be ashamed or afraid of.We know that was wrong.I encourage anyone who feels like they are having a problem to get some help from their doctor,talk o their pastor or trusted family member/friend.It is not something to face alone.
You would surprised how many people deal with this stuff in their lives.
Trust me,I know.

ALACOWMAN":90pbqgc2 said:
I had both too,friends and family would say you need to snap out of it..wished it were that simple,,. I'da been cured years before..

Wait until it hits them.They find out real quick that it can't be done easily.

Jogeephus"h. [/quote said:
Someone mentioned that dark place of depression and I think this is real but think people who get to this point choose to be alone in that place and they get in the place within just a few months .
Some may but most don't choose to be alone and wallow in depression.It's not something a rational person would choose to do.Many feel alone or left out and feel like no one else understands.Not true at all. Just part of the effects of the disease.Someone will.There are more who will than you think

Bright Raven":mb2dm0m6 said:
Not been in those circumstances but I worked on a team project with a coworker who had depression and anxiety. It was reflected in her face. You could see that she was strung as tight as a banjo string. The treatment she was on was also an issue. She would blow up in public meetings, then feel severe guilt for her display. It was very sad to see her suffer.

Lots of suffering and medication in this world. Have a friend and ex co worker who went on anti depression meds in his 50s. It was to late to help with his 3 exs, but his manager at work and girlfriend both appreciated the new more mellow style.

The place we both worked at passed out sleeping pills so you could travel overseas in coach, :nod: , but they did not pass out the happy pills to help folks cope with the company line.

Been taking my daily Prozac since 1989 after hospitalization for clinical depression. Not a fun trip and definitely not one you go volunteer to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts