Farm Manager

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
ok yall... I have known this family for years and they have ties to this area. They recently bought a farm in which has pasture land and raggedy fences in which i tore the fences down and overseeded the pastures and spread lime and fertilizer. They were planning on moving back and getting cattle to fool with. They leased the open fields to me but was hoping I could get the pasture land too. Well they decided they are ready to get cattle but not move and asked if I could purchase 10 bred cattle for them and manage them every year till they move there. They told me think on it and give them an idea of what I wanted and then go to any lawyer i want and they will pay attorney fees and we both iron out what we want and whats expected of each other. I have no idea what is reasonable. They are installing waterers im going to give them an estimate on the fencing... sorry FM i would have suggested you but your too far. So far they want someone there to be able to check them daily no problem its on my way home from my other land with my cattle.. they will also need calves worked and then sold.. winter feeding and other stuff that goes along with cattle. I will have a credit card to use to get all the stuff i need.. Is it worth fooling with? try it or pass? salary expectation? Give me the good and bad and definately the UGLY aspect of it.
Thanks

If you basically are just.providing labor maybe ask for 20-30%of the calf crop each year..when I started in the purebred I leased the bred cows at 35% but I provided land feed and labor. That means I got 65% of the calves and the owners got 35% and the right to select any bull calves for retention.

Yep they will go in the hole fast. 10 won't pay for the improvements much less a caretaker salary. They would be smarter to lease you or someone else the pasture.

You what it's going to take you to look after 10 head. You know what you might expect to profit too. What kind of deal would you cut someone?

Yea, I mean I got enough on my own to do that's for sure so ten would be an number I could manage properly and easily. They aren't looking to make a profit as one is a dr and other a college professor its just a tax write off and hobby. That they already stressed to me that they just like to see cows and be able to tell their friends they own them. I think they would be ok with some of the calf crop or paying me. I don't know its a lot to think about.

If they want to pay for bragging rights tell them you want 75% of the calves and them pay for everything. If they want a tax writeoff who knows.

If it was me I don't think I would want to mess with it unless it was a really good friend that I just wanted to help. I would say 40% of what the calves bring would be fair if all your putting in to it is the labor of taking care of 10 pair.

Yea... I think that's fair but I am going to call them today and tell them the things they need to have in place for me to consider. I will see what they say and let you all know. They aren't really good friends but their family overall is good friends to my family.

If you want another opinion, I wouldn't attempt to figure out a percentage. Just pick a flat fee per week for checking them in summer, another fee for each time you need to put out hay in winter, and an hourly rate for everything else (working cattle, vaccinating, fixing fence, etc.).

I didn't see how many acres they had. In addition to some of the suggestions already made, could you put some of your own cattle on their land?

Rafter S":1wkimuoc said:
If you want another opinion, I wouldn't attempt to figure out a percentage. Just pick a flat fee per week for checking them in summer, another fee for each time you need to put out hay in winter, and an hourly rate for everything else (working cattle, vaccinating, fixing fence, etc.).

Good idea..

HDRider":1wkimuoc said:
I didn't see how many acres they had. In addition to some of the suggestions already made, could you put some of your own cattle on their land?

Pasture portion of the farm is about 20-24 acres or so. I wouldn't put any of mine there with theirs but I never asked they probably wouldn't mind it though.

skyhightree1":2jqkd9ct said:
Rafter S":2jqkd9ct said:

Good idea..

That's the only kind I have. I keep telling people that, but no one listens. :D

Rafter S":ywn2klcr said:
skyhightree1":ywn2klcr said:
Rafter S":ywn2klcr said:

Good idea..

That's the only kind I have. I keep telling people that, but no one listens. :D

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

It's a whole lot of hassle. If they want to look at cows, 'sell' them some of yours 'on paper'.. then they can own cows and there's no additional hassle for you.. Perhaps, if it's convenient, you bring your cows to their place to graze it.

Latest posts