family of escape artists

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
We gave our grandson a daughter and granddaughter(niece to the daughter) of a favorite cow. Both learned to slip rope halters. He's now showing daughters from the first two, and a steer calf from one of them. All know how to slip halters. His March yearling can slip the halter as soon as you turn away from tying her. She can slip a neck rope unless it's tight enough to look like it's choking her, and that doesn't look good at a show. We put this kind of halter on her now, the link is http://www.enasco.com/product/C15158N . The problem is now she is rubbing her chin raw from trying to remove it. She's going to Louisville this week, so I took off that halter last week to let her chin/jaw heal. She gets tied when we work her, that's the only time.

Any suggestions on halters? I think we may have to go with the one I linked to, and put her in the trailer at night so she doesn't go anywhere when she gets loose. Oh, several times she has managed to unsnap lead ropes attached to that halter, so that's another issue keeping her confined.

My son had a steer a couple of years ago that way. We had to put two halters on him and a neck rope for quite a while until he gave up on the escaping. He could get a single halter off in the time it took to tie another calf.

Tie a knot right outside the eye on the halter. Then she can't pull the slack to get it off.

She slips neck ties unless they are so tight it looks like she is choking, that's not something you want to have seen by the public who don't know cows. A neck collar is a bit harder for her to slip, so we use that at a show, but it really rubs the hair on her neck.

We've tried knots on the rope halter, but how do you keep them from getting so tight you can't undo them to get the halter off?

Husband found a slightly different nylon/chain halter in a cow size. It goes on today. I'm hoping it hits her chin in a bit different spot so it has more time to heal.

Chris H":3h1sei0r said:
She slips neck ties unless they are so tight it looks like she is choking, that's not something you want to have seen by the public who don't know cows. A neck collar is a bit harder for her to slip, so we use that at a show, but it really rubs the hair on her neck.

We've tried knots on the rope halter, but how do you keep them from getting so tight you can't undo them to get the halter off?

Husband found a slightly different nylon/chain halter in a cow size. It goes on today. I'm hoping it hits her chin in a bit different spot so it has more time to heal.

Just grab thehalter behind her head and pull it over.

Try a Cow turn out halter

http://www.enasco.com/product/C15946N

AC042862.jpg

Cowboy 2.0":u5mw4v6n said:
Chris H":u5mw4v6n said:

Just grab thehalter behind her head and pull it over.

Hahaha, if we can grab the halter behind her head and pull it off, so can she! You must not have dealt with a real escape artist!

The cow halter was slightly big. I thought it would hold. I was wrong. I was washing her(on the outside ramp at the NAILE), it stretched a bit, she gave a big yank and got if off her nose. She gave a quick flip to get it over her ears and she off she went. A couple guys cornered her on the walkway, another woman had untied her halter and handed it to me, I walked up and put it back on. I took her back to the barn and switched back to the yearling control halter and didn't care if it cut her chin. We used a collar as the main neck tie, she's never gotten that slipped off but has unsnapped the rope to it. At night she had the collar & a rope neck tie on, and the control halter. One night she managed to unbuckle the control halter and get it off.

This was her last show, unless she has an outstanding calf. I used my last straw of CS Pure Gold in her, so I'm hoping for an outstanding calf but not looking forward to any more shows with her.

P.S., Chippie, I think that halter might have held without cutting into her chin. I think I'll look for a couple sizes to keep on hand for her relatives.

Latest posts