Family milking cow

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I have one Holstein that I would like to milk for my own use. I dred milking everyday someone told me that if I keep the calf I can alternate milking when I want to and let the calf milk the remainder of the time. Does anyone know if this works. Am I asking for the best of both worlds? If I grass feed my Holstein and give her now grain can I milk her once a day.?Any info would greatly be appreciated.

lancemart":2v6lpimo said:
I have one Holstein that I would like to milk for my own use. I dred milking everyday someone told me that if I keep the calf I can alternate milking when I want to and let the calf milk the remainder of the time. Does anyone know if this works. Am I asking for the best of both worlds? If I grass feed my Holstein and give her now grain can I milk her once a day.?Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Heck - milk her out when you need it and let the calves do the rest - she will not care and she will keep producing milk.

Do not over think this - otherwise it will be like the time your cow was calving. You will get all stirred up for nothing.

In the end it will all work out.

Grain her while you milk her - she will love you for this - dumb as a cow is she will soon figure out that milking is good for her stomach.

Take it all or take some - choice will be yours.

Just be real clean - wipe her tits down good and watch she does not step in the pail - you will learn what I mean sooner or later. If she does - give it to the calves and clean out the pail and start over.

If you can drink all she produces in a day you either have a big family, or are a giant of a man - not unusual to get four to five gallons a day from a decent milker.

Tie her tail up as well - unless you like getting swatted in the head.

Bez>

Lance...,

BEZ has it down pretty good.

We have a Jersey because we like the butter once in a while.
We feed her some ground grain daily. When we plan to milk her we leave her/or calf in the barn over night/day. Then we take about 1/2 of the milk and let the calf have the rest. He usually will just eat a little more dry feed that day.LOL

We will average milking her about once per week. She is also the mom for an orphan. We have had as many as three calves on her at a time. We don't take much milk when that scenario is in place.

Latest posts