Fall vs spring calving question?

Help Support CattleToday:

I try to have my calves born around 45-60 days before grass starts so that they're old enough to use it and momma can hit peak milk a month into good grass. If you have a long growing season then timing is less important but when you're only looking at a couple months of green then timing is the key to soggy calves.
When are you calving and when does your grass really turn on in most years?

I don't know about grazing in winter, but I have several reasons why I like fall / early winter calving. (My calving season is November through January.) Some of them may be specific to my region.

1. When the spring grass comes out, the calves are big enough to graze, and the cows milk production picks up. The calves really grow well in spring.

2. Calves are ready to wean about July or early August. I don't have any concrete proof of this, but it seems to me that the market often peaks about then, and starts to fall off a bit in September.

3. I'm weaning calves about the time it really gets hot and the grass starts to get short. That makes it easier on the cows and the pasture.

The only disadvantage that I'm aware of is that I have to take a little bit better care of my cows through the winter than I might otherwise need to so they'll cycle on time.

Someone else will have just as many good reasons to like spring calving.

Yes if you got good grass that is nutritious like Rye grass. I try to time my spring calves where they are 3-4 months of age when the Rye grass is strong and good. So really for me my spring calves are actually born in the winter starting in late December. I have been slowing moving up my calving period over the last four years about two weeks at a time. I think early December would be ideal. Thats when they will start next year.

Now for the real answer. Spring calves will be heavier but bring less as they sell in fall when the sale barns have large runs and meat is not in as much demand. Fall calves weigh less but sell in the prime period of spring when demand is stronger.

Right now demand is off the charts so all that kinda goes out the window. Slaughter cows at $1.25/lb. Who would have thunk it?

Each person's marketing and pasture is going to make a difference. There are fluctuations for me. I like selling for spring prices. We've got a whole lot of people putting calves on winter wheat in this area. They are in the market for spring calves.

backhoeboogie":ergddswr said:
Each person's marketing and pasture is going to make a difference. There are fluctuations for me. I like selling for spring prices. We've got a whole lot of people putting calves on winter wheat in this area. They are in the market for spring calves.

We calve in spring but we have the advantage of being able to put the weaned calves out on wheat pasture and sell them about march 1st.

Around here I always heard spring calves were bigger. The reasoning I heard from PhD UT professor had something to do with the mothers blood supply inconjunction with cold weather. I'd have to get my master beef manual to give the exact reason.

It depends.
My favorite analysis came out of Nebraska.
Forage availability, weather, and length of retention are big factors. It is hard to generate economical gazing gains here once the snow is over a foot deep.
On average - - spring or early summer calving is usually the most profitable in the north.
Farther south - - grazing stalks or wheat or whatever may make fall calving work well.

Latest posts