Fall seeding help needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ok folks need some advice on fall planting. I'd like to broadcast see over my summer grasses if possible but not sure it will work. Cattle have nubbed the crab grass down to the ground but it is still there but hasn't been growing recently due to cooler temps and almost no rain. My question is without breaking out the disk (we do not have a drill) is it possible to successfully seed over in fescue or rye/winter wheat? I've got the lime guy coming also this fall. Any tips would be appreciated.

You are pulling the cows off, right? If not, nothing you overseed is gonna have as chance...
Depending on where you are located, cereal rye/wheat, and annual ryegrass certainly could work.

I over seed with rye grass. No disc involved. Just broadcast with a 3 ph spreader. I have mostly fescue, but some patches of bermuda grass. I broadcast in the bermuda and where the fescue is a thin stand. I try to broadcast prior to a predicted rain or just after. I broadcast in November when there is more chance of the seed hitting the dirt due to the bermuda and annuals being dormant from frost. I do not remove the cows. They help to push the seed to the dirt, but do have a negative impact on grazing new seedlings. Yes, it is better to no-till drill, better to remove cows, better to plant in September or October for max benefit. But, I believe I still get benefit from what I am able to do - still providing some later grazing.

Agree, that the cows will help trample the seed in at seeding, but after that, I'd recommend removing them to allow the overseeded grass to take hold and grow before the cows either pull it up by the roots or graze it out of existence before it has a chance to get established.

Lucky, I got a thread I started over in the calving issue forum. I wasn't sure how to PM you. Give it a read, when you get time.

Latest posts