Fall Run ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Fall feeder run starts here next week. Recent prices are not great. Five weights running mostly U$S 675 to 775 depending on sex and quality. That does not leave much for buying cow hay and corral panels.

Seems like more marketing effort is being made. Use of video for larger sales, and/or shipping longer distances using pots.

What are you expecting for the bred market this fall?

Those who have money will spend it, those that don't won't risk what they have...doubt I'll pick any one-and-done type this fall unless the are even cheaper than last fall.

One n dones were 43 cents here last fall. Doubt they will be cheaper this year.

Calf buyers last September made some good money on value of gain. Are they a buy again?

Stocker Steve said:
One n dones were 43 cents here last fall. Doubt they will be cheaper this year.

Calf buyers last September made some good money on value of gain. Are they a buy again?
I did real good on calves bought last fall. Right now the same calves are $100 higher here. That tightens the margin a lot. I know one guy who kept almost all of his calves last fall is saying he will sell them this fall. Kill cow prices are dropping. At this point I am leaning toward one and done cows.

Dave I did real good on calves bought last fall. Right now the same calves are $100 higher here. That tightens the margin a lot. I know one guy who kept almost all of his calves last fall is saying he will sell them this fall. Kill cow prices are dropping. At this point I am leaning toward one and done cows. [/quote said:
A big corn crop both here and in SD. I expect there to be a lot of farmer feeding locally. Can you afford to feed corn to one and dones?

Stocker Steve said:
Dave I did real good on calves bought last fall. Right now the same calves are $100 higher here. That tightens the margin a lot. I know one guy who kept almost all of his calves last fall is saying he will sell them this fall. Kill cow prices are dropping. At this point I am leaning toward one and done cows. [/quote said:
A big corn crop both here and in SD. I expect there to be a lot of farmer feeding locally. Can you afford to feed corn to one and dones?
I am a long ways from corn growing areas. I can't afford to feed corn to anything.

Latest posts