Fall calves

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I have a group of fall born calves. They all are around 500#s. They are ready to wean. What would you do sell or hold them ? Currently a steer at that weight are around 1.39 per pound here.

If you have an opportunity to sell at a weaned sale later on and you have grass, I would hold on to them. On the other hand, with the sale barn calf numbers being very low since this virus thing started, it would seem logical that there is a lot of calves in the country waiting for any blip of higher prices. Its a tough call.

For me, mine have been weaned three weeks and are on pasture and will stay until the first of June. They will sell then as long weaned calves regardless of the market. When they are ready, they are ready. I don't have any idea if the price will be better or worse but that is about the time the grass starts getting low and the temperature starts getting high.

Need to calculate the value of gain vs. cost of gain between 500 and 600 pounds. Traditionally order buyers have a lot of orders for "5 wts." and price drops off hard over 550 pounds.

My crystal ball says cattle will back up eventually just like hogs have. Stay current with your marketing.

I went to a mid-America sale yesterday in bristow ok. I thought feeder prices were pretty good. 5 at black steers were bringing 1.50 to 1.70. 6 wts were bringing 1.40 to 1.65. There were some 1000 pounders sold 1.15 to 1.20. Bulls were bringing high 80's. Cows were bringing in the 60's. Bred cows were going cheap though. I planned to buy a bottle calf to foster onto my half Jersey fresh heifer but only one sold and it went for more than I'd pay since it looked scroungy but I did get a great buy that I wasn't looking for. I got a red mot faces one plus 8 months bred heifer for $360. She looks ready to drop the calf today. We will be home most of the time this week so we can watch her in case she requires assistance. Bonus is that she seems calm and not crazy.

Sell

We are in a slight uptick because of the govt claiming they will save the day. If you believe that... hold... if you dont... sell.

I'm in the camp that says it's going to get worse before it gets better. The govt can control weather. A dry spell will crash this whole deal like oil.

I know it's not county wide but we are in a full on drought. I am going to start feeding next week and implementing the execution of the hit list. We are in a high cattle population area so our market will be going to the crapper here real quick.

I weaned them and worked them yesterday so I guess Iam keeping them for a awhile. I have plenty of grass
We will see what happens. Dang if you do dang if you don't kinda thing

Latest posts