Fall Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
I am considering fertilizing the pastures this month to increase the ability to carry grass further into the winter, which will hopefully keep from buying some spendy feeder hay.

The fert company thinks that I should put 200lb 16-20 and 100lb Urea (46-0-0) on. Said it would run about $80/ac. Could rent the pull spreader for $6/ac and $25 delivery charge.

On the 40 or so acres this would be about $3300. Figuring that our feeder hay is running around $175-190/ton this year (Oregon), what is your guys/gals input if a guy would be able to see that return enough forage to pay for itself. I am thinking that half this application rate would be sufficient, but without a soil test it is truly hard to say. (I have one off to the lab, but I don't know if it will come back with a recommendation for fall only)

I know that it would leave some residual behind, that I should consider...but there is also some value in feeding out on the pasture if the grass is all gone and buying in the fertilizer by way of buying in the hay.

Thanks. BTW I am in South Central Oregon, and this would all be irrigated pasture.

chukar":q8uq1ktp said:
I am considering fertilizing the pastures this month to increase the ability to carry grass further into the winter, which will hopefully keep from buying some spendy feeder hay.

The fert company thinks that I should put 200lb 16-20 and 100lb Urea (46-0-0) on. Said it would run about $80/ac. Could rent the pull spreader for $6/ac and $25 delivery charge.

On the 40 or so acres this would be about $3300. Figuring that our feeder hay is running around $175-190/ton this year (Oregon), what is your guys/gals input if a guy would be able to see that return enough forage to pay for itself. I am thinking that half this application rate would be sufficient, but without a soil test it is truly hard to say. (I have one off to the lab, but I don't know if it will come back with a recommendation for fall only)

I know that it would leave some residual behind, that I should consider...but there is also some value in feeding out on the pasture if the grass is all gone and buying in the fertilizer by way of buying in the hay.

Thanks. BTW I am in South Central Oregon, and this would all be irrigated pasture.

Pour it on...........What does the neighbors say?

If you apply urea in the warm then you can lose most of the N straight back into the air again. If you applie it then you needed to get it irrigated in PDQ.

I would look at amonium nitrate at this time of year.

The P and K should reduce the amount you need next spring. If you think prices of P and K will be higher next spring and if you are not on a sandy soil I may increase these now and not apply any in the spring.

If you did a soil test in the spring and P and K were OK and you think prices will be the same or less in the spring I would just put the N on.

How much per cow would you have invested in fertilizer ? To make money in cattle you have to figure how much expense subtracted off of your cattle sales. Where we live it does not pencil out to fertilizer your pastures just to graze.

cowboy43":3d1j9ds9 said:
How much per cow would you have invested in fertilizer ? To make money in cattle you have to figure how much expense subtracted off of your cattle sales. Where we live it does not pencil out to fertilizer your pastures just to graze.

Good point, but chukar needs only about half a ton of extra grass an acre to offset his hay cost given his figures. I would think this is doable with irrigation.

Well, still waiting for the soil test to come back. Should have been here by now.

The neighbors ? What do they have to say about fertilizing? They wouldn't do it, but then again they aren't exactly the most open bunch when it comes to change. I put in some K-Lines last year to go away from flood irrigating. They said I was nuts. I put up some more cross fences (not to the point I would like yet, but time and money) and they said I was crazy. They said I am wasting money in having all these cut up pastures that I can't flood.

I can say the guy across the road rents to my cousin. My cousin was over last night and wants to take his cows out of there and find some more feed. They are kicking around cow pies to find something to eat. I am clipping seed heads (another thing they mock).

Anyway, it would take about 7 days to get irrigated if I put on Urea. You think crystalized would dissappear that quick?

The losses can be quite high up to 30 or 40%.

Depends on soil moisture. If your ground is dry for 24hrs a day you should be ok. The highest losses are in the first couple of days.

You can get poly coated urea and this does not have the same problem

When you irrigate it in you need 1/2 inch of water.

Some reading here, not pasture or hay land but same differance
http://etd.auburn.edu/etd/bitstream/han ... sequence=1

I wouldn't do anything without the test. Here we don't pay for buggy or del ( it is in the price per ton I'm sure) but we can get it spread custom app. for 6 an acre. I wouldn't use less than 100 lbs urea. If it's dry it will be fine till you water it in. You can have agritain put on all or half of it if you think you will loose some. As far as P & K without the test you are just pi$$ing in the dark and hoping you are missing your boots.

Latest posts