Fall Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
We started fall calving on Aug 4th and are off to a great start! All calves are sired by JFCC Silverado, our NBAR Hamley son.

Bull calf born 8/22 out of Emeralds Miss Gold ( pb Angus cow, 10 yrs old)

There were 2 more bulls born on 8/20 that I have to get pictures of yet. So far, all have been vigorous and energetic calves. All were 75 to 90 pounds with no assistance required. We are pretty pleased with how Silverado is crossing on our Limi and Angus matriarchs.

Now we just need to find the next red Limi bull to put in our rotation! The red angus experiment is working so far, but we still want to have plenty of red Limis around and don't plan to go all to Lim-flex....

Super cute buggers. Glad you're not going all limflex or black which seems to be getting more popular. I've got a fullblood heifer coming here in a month due in march pretty excited about that.

We were managers of a multiple breed farm, including Red Angus, "Sunrise Farms" years ago. My husband went to a Red Angus convention?? and visited with a Boot Jack Red Angus farm - is that you? Ken was really impressed with your cattle.

frieghttrain":flraqssx said:
Super cute buggers. Glad you're not going all limflex or black which seems to be getting more popular. I've got a fullblood heifer coming here in a month due in march pretty excited about that.

The reds are still our bread and butter, and are my personal favorites. That's part of the reason we decided to take a leap of faith on this bull. We like the Lim-flex females, but this way, we can keep them red (most of them anyway!).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":flraqssx said:
We were managers of a multiple breed farm, including Red Angus, "Sunrise Farms" years ago. My husband went to a Red Angus convention?? and visited with a Boot Jack Red Angus farm - is that you? Ken was really impressed with your cattle.

That would have been Boot Jack Ranch. They were a bigger deal in the red Angus, and dispersed in the early 2000's, just before we got into the registered Limi deal. We have a lake on our property named Boot Jack lake, so that is the only reason we went with the name. We mostly stick to our Limis and have a few select Angus to cross with them. Really, if the Angus did not cross so fantastically with the Limis, we would not have the Angus either.

August sure sounds like summer calving to me.

Autumn 2017 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Friday, September 22
and ends on
Thursday, December 21

Supa Dexta":qjuptya8 said:
August sure sounds like summer calving to me.

Autumn 2017 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Friday, September 22
and ends on
Thursday, December 21
Ok? Call it what you want and I will do the same. We usually try to have them done calving in this group by the middle of Sept, the show season kicks off the end of Sept and that is a factor for us...

I guess we officially started calving today :( . First calf heifer due 9/15/17 had a set of twin bull calves. She mothered up to both, but three weeks early. She doesn't have much of a bag, I hope that is due to the early birth. Hope everyone has a good calving season!

Gizmom

Sometimes the twins take so much out of them during gestation, that the cow doesn't milk as well. She may need some supplement to get her going. Usually, I can "suspect" twins because of the BCS of the cow.

gizmom":bfi0ksyh said:
I guess we officially started calving today :( . First calf heifer due 9/15/17 had a set of twin bull calves. She mothered up to both, but three weeks early. She doesn't have much of a bag, I hope that is due to the early birth. Hope everyone has a good calving season!

Gizmom

I had twin bulls born last week to a hfr, dead I assume. Cleaned up, 20' apart, she was coming back to them and bawling for them. She was due last half Sept.
Had another born to 3yo, alive for now and doing good, due mid to late Sept according to my notes after bull turn in.

Latest posts