Failure to plan ahead

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
We shut the rumor mill down, when the weather gets bad, so I'm off on days like this. Makes it handy, because there's a lot to do. Weather like this taxes your infrastructure (zero at night, 10 degrees during the day, and 10 inches of snow on the ground). You guys north of me, will laugh at those conditions, because all in all, it's not that bad. We also just finished up a long cold snap with no snow though.

It amazes me, how many people get spanked when it gets like this. Like they have no ability to plan even a day ahead. I honestly am glad to help (I guess, it must bother me a little or I wouldn't post this).

Jobs I've had to perform for family and neighbors:
1. I've dug people out of their own driveways
2. I've thawed pipes under a house with the vents open
3. I've fed for people who couldn't get their equipment started
4. I've been to the grocery store for one person 3 times
5. I've hauled able bodied people countless miles, because they are scared to drive on snow.
6. I'm hauling water daily to 45 feeder calves for one person.

One of my pet peeves in life, is people shouldn't toot their own horn. I know it sounds like I'm doing that, and I'm sorry if it does. I did away with my frost proof hydrants, I'm not froze up. All the plumbing in my horse barn is in the rafters, and it's not froze up. There's food for days in my cabinets (thanks to my wife). Grader blade was on my little tractor 3 days before the snow hit. I just don't get how some people get taken over by a little cold weather. I'm going to run out of ddg before the bulk truck can run, but I can go get 3 tons if need be. If people would just plan ahead, or learn from previous years, it wouldn't be too bad. I also realize if you live in Louisiana, you not set up for the cold. This is Ky. We get cold snaps and snow every year. Why not plan for it? Rant over.

Troy,

I am in Kentucky so it is about the same here. I am well prepared. Kenley Conner (Select Sires) was just here servicing my semen tank. I showed him my calves. He said if he ever comes back as a calf, he wants to come back on my farm. Lol. My calves look good. Sorry, tooting my own horn.

My only scare would be losing water. I really don't have an emergency plan for that. All my water for the cattle is public water.

Bright Raven":2s2bab3e said:
Troy,

I am in Kentucky so it is about the same here. I am well prepared. Kenley Conner (Select Sires) was just here servicing my semen tank. I showed him my calves. He said if he ever comes back as a calf, he wants to come back on my farm. Lol. My calves look good. Sorry, tooting my own horn.

My only scare would be losing water. I really don't have an emergency plan for that. All my water for the cattle is public water.

Water is a challenge, and it's the hardest battle. I'm blessed with quit a bit of moving water (I know the cows shouldn't be in it, but they are).

Bigfoot":3mbsrs5b said:
Bright Raven":3mbsrs5b said:
Troy,

Water is a challenge, and it's the hardest battle. I'm blessed with quit a bit of moving water (I know the cows shouldn't be in it, but they are).

Direct EPA violation right there. Consider yourself reported.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ie3pilw said:
Bigfoot":1ie3pilw said:
Bright Raven":1ie3pilw said:
Troy,

Direct EPA violation right there. Consider yourself reported.

I've been setting here waiting for that. Feets warm now, I'm heading out.

Reminds me of "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

When winter is approaching (like end of October to be safe) we have to go around and pick-up/move things around & find a "safe place" for things. If not, it could be gone til spring, buried under the snow. Although, we "usually" get a January thaw.

Guess those things don't bother me much, as I'm a firm believer in Karma. It's the other people that are too stubborn that bother me. Grandparents had a tornado go through several years ago, called them up to see how everything was. Oh, just fine of course, nothing to worry about here.... both were near 80 and poor health. Took me 4 hours with chainsaw and small skid steer to properly clear driveway. Had countless people driving by the following few days checking out the damage, with not a single one offering to help. Fire department showed up on day 4. Be happy there are people counting on you, beats the alternatives.

I am curious about your water pipes being in the rafters with no issues. Heat wrap, spray insulation, or?

Easiest way is just slope the pipes and drain when done.
I can relate to Bigfoot, especially when it comes to family. I think we did a pretty good job raising our kids and believe they are way more self-reliable than most millineals(sp) in this world, but DAD GUM! It frustrates me to no end some of the stuff they do. These are 20 something kids I'm talking about. I have to remind them to leave water dripping, drain the hose pipes, just stuff like that. Son seems to never feed enough hay when it's dry or if the grounds froze. As soon as mud becomes a foot thick, then he needs to put out about 8 rolls. He usually decides to work his cows about an hour before dark and starts gathering them. :bang:
Well at least they have their own place and not living in the basement.

Beefeater":1fmunmlu said:
Guess those things don't bother me much, as I'm a firm believer in Karma. It's the other people that are too stubborn that bother me. Grandparents had a tornado go through several years ago, called them up to see how everything was. Oh, just fine of course, nothing to worry about here.... both were near 80 and poor health. Took me 4 hours with chainsaw and small skid steer to properly clear driveway. Had countless people driving by the following few days checking out the damage, with not a single one offering to help. Fire department showed up on day 4. Be happy there are people counting on you, beats the alternatives.

I am curious about your water pipes being in the rafters with no issues. Heat wrap, spray insulation, or?

Its all 1/2 inch black flexable hose. Same stuff you plumb a sprayer with. If the temperature is going to dip below 25, I drain it out a probably 35' hose leading away from the barn. It has never failed to not generate enough suction to to siphon out the system. My kids have forget to siphon it it a few times, and it froze, but nothing busted. Picks up like 12' of fall, coming down from the rafters, and then runs down about an 18" to 2' drop leading away from the stable. 10 months out of the year, I have the drain hose discounected. I actually use it for a water hose the rest of the year. I think the key is the hose, and the size. Dumb luck is how I perfected it BTW.

"Dammit Valentine, you never plan ahead. Here it is Monday and I'm already thinking of Wednesday".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KltxInurebY

Oldest sister called me right before dark tonight and said there was water running out from under her 'bunkhouse' (as she calls the older house all the grand kids stay at when they visit) and I mean 20 minutes before dark. Didn't mind too much tho. She knew where the shutoff is but doesn't have the strength now to turn the valve. 5 minute drive and 2 minutes to turn it off, but she called and said she managed it just before I turned in her drive.

I understand completely. I have a hard time telling people no when they need help every if it is there dumb fault.

Another one that gets me is people gave no back up for heat in this kind of weather. It never crossed their mind that the HVAC might break down. No space heater, kerosene heater or anything.

I know that you didn't post this for praise, but you're a good man, Bigfoot.

We try to prepare, sometimes we fail. We try to help others when possible. I try to plow out some neighbors when it snows, they don't seem to appreciate it. Asked this week and he said he didn't need it, so I just drove on by. Did have to pull out the UPS guy as he tried to come to my place like an idiot. Pulled one guy out in town when I took my mother groceries. My mother gets pretty panicky in this type of weather, she grew up in hard times though. Tells me she is about out of something and get there and she has plenty. She worries I couldn't make it 7 miles to her house.

I have a generator for some backup power and gas logs for some back up heat. Try to keep equipment up so I can always feed hay. Most of my neighbors would have no problem helping me if needed and me help them if needed. Most of the people are good people, some just don't have common sense though.

I really dislike cold weather, rater mow grass than move white stuff and chop ice.

tom4018":3cfkgams said:
We try to prepare, sometimes we fail. We try to help others when possible. I try to plow out some neighbors when it snows, they don't seem to appreciate it. Asked this week and he said he didn't need it, so I just drove on by. Did have to pull out the UPS guy as he tried to come to my place like an idiot. Pulled one guy out in town when I took my mother groceries. My mother gets pretty panicky in this type of weather, she grew up in hard times though. Tells me she is about out of something and get there and she has plenty. She worries I couldn't make it 7 miles to her house.

I have a generator for some backup power and gas logs for some back up heat. Try to keep equipment up so I can always feed hay. Most of my neighbors would have no problem helping me if needed and me help them if needed. Most of the people are good people, some just don't have common sense though.

I really dislike cold weather, rater mow grass than move white stuff and chop ice.

I have one that I only ever hear from when they need plowed out. :roll:

I'm on the road alot no matter the weather, I pull several people out of ditches if I can, a thanks and move on.
Yesterday got to my dad's, temp is 7, I go every morning in this weather to put out hay and check things, he is 90. Someone had run through about 30 yards of fence and laid it down. They ran through the heifer lot to an old gate never used anymore, exited the place, never told anyone. Just lucky I went and heifers weren't out. But nobody offered to stop and help me fence, heck temp was up to 11 then lol. Was one good thing, they did shut the gate back!!!!!

Latest posts