F-1 Herf/Brimmer 1St

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch":lxzpnh4z said:
She has a large udder for a first calf heifer. Are both of those calves hers?

No just the one looking at us.
The udder is the reason I am seriously considering culling her.
The udder doesn't bother me as much as the teats. That is what I want to see when that calf gets big
enough to pull that udder down . F-1's are bad about being bell tited.
One fellow has offered 2000 for the pair.
I picked her up for 1010.00 last year so I figure I got to get 1500 to break even.
I am going to let her raise that calf and then decide.
More than likely I will sell that calf weaned and her a few months later as bred.
I am pretty sure I can make more by splitting them and selling her bred through the barn.

I'd let the calf get to 450 or 500lbs and split them up. She sure is milking good but I don't like her faucets either, I'd sell her like you said.

Out of your bull CB?

I had a Char cow with teats like that--3 of them anyway. Kept a couple of her heifers and their teats were normal. Still got both of them.

greybeard":2nvlo9tc said:
Out of your bull CB?

I had a Char cow with teats like that--3 of them anyway. Kept a couple of her heifers and their teats were normal. Still got both of them.

Yeah the calf is I bought that heifer last year.
One of the gambles of a heifer. Out of the five heifers I bought last year
looks like I will be culling two. The best part about her is she will sell like hotcakes
even with that udder. She will end up in somebodies river bottom pasture and
most likely won't see a human three or four times a year.

Shoot. I'd keep that thing for a cow, till her bag did give trouble. Young cows like that ain't around every corner.

Bigfoot":3neop2fq said:
Shoot. I'd keep that thing for a cow, till her bag did give trouble. Young cows like that ain't around every corner.

Jury is still deliberating her sentence. Best case scenario is probation.
She is here to raise a terminal calf. That is another reason I want to see what kind of job she does.
Right now all she has is an ugly udder, calf is nursing fine and any other ones that want a drink as well.
Got the third calf out of 4 heifers yesterday evening one to go.

Bigfoot you might be right on this girl teats are looking a lot better since the calf has started to pull on them.
She is still not out of the wood's as far the cull line, that udder is not near as strutted today as the other day.
Found another calf today as well I guess these cold fronts keep dropping them off every time one comes through.
Obama almost knocked the white off this one got a star and a sock

denvermartinfarms":w6jb5w5s said:
Are you still gonna buy a different bull coming up?

I don't know talking with my cousin about him leasing him to put on his heifers .
That give him a little something to do other than dig holes and beller.
He is the best bull I have ever owned for BW and WW.

Caustic Burno":prkcjd81 said:
denvermartinfarms":prkcjd81 said:
Are you still gonna buy a different bull coming up?

I don't know talking with my cousin about him leasing him to put on his heifers .
That give him a little something to do other than dig holes and beller.
He is the best bull I have ever owned for BW and WW.
That would be good, I always like to keep one as long as I can when he's doing a good job.

Heifer that had the questionable udder now.
Looks much better now she is not strutted.
For now looks like she will get a second chance.
Now

Day after calving

Well CB at least you know what you have going on. She could be way down in the back of a pasture where know one saw her with a bag that a calf couldn't handle. Ive had some like her in the past that lasted for years with me keeping an eye on em each year. Others grew wheels the following year, its a roll of the dice. My Dad always referred to em as my short bus cows. I always had em in a area where I could pen em easy.

As Im sure you know, its quite a rodeo, milking a F1 in a chute.

houstoncutter":3vw9j2eo said:
Well CB at least you know what you have going on. She could be way down in the back of a pasture where know one saw her with a bag that a calf couldn't handle. Ive had some like her in the past that lasted for years with me keeping an eye on em each year. Others grew wheels the following year, its a roll of the dice. My Dad always referred to em as my short bus cows. I always had em in a area where I could pen em easy.

As Im sure you know, its quite a rodeo, milking a F1 in a chute.

Out of the five heifers I bought this year all calved with out assistance.
Lost one calf to calving on the creek bank.
Hitting some sales next couple of months got a few more to replace.

Caustic Burno":14r04xwd said:
This is her first.
She might not stay long as several guys want her pretty bad.
Are you relly sure that she is a first calf heifer?? I noticed her tail and just looking at the picture would call her and her general condition a mature cow. Mouth her and see as it is very interesting to me!! Thank you !

Latest posts