Eye problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Dap

Reaction score
I've gone years without any significant eye problems in my calves. When I have had problems it's usually caused by cheat grass seed or some other weed that worked its way into the eye. Over the past 2 weeks I've had 7 out of 40 calves in one group show all the symptoms of pink eye. We've already had a frost and flies are almost completely gone. I was blaming the first couple of cases on some horsenettle, but they've been on pretty clean pastures for the last 10 days or so. Anyone ever experience this or have any idea what may have caused this? So far I haven't seen any problems at the other farms.

baxter78":2y5gjn8x said:
I have never heard of horse nettle causing them to have pinkeye. It could be ibr or it might not be. I would vaccinate em for ibr if you have not done so already. First however, I would take care of the pinkeye. Hit em with about 30 cc of LA-200 and hopefully that should do the job. Go by what the label says for proper dosage of the calves.

You sound a lot like somebody else, but it couldn't be... Kind of strange that you showed up just as he was banned for the 5th or 6th time, though.

cfpinz":iiyyod8s said:
baxter78":iiyyod8s said:
I have never heard of horse nettle causing them to have pinkeye. It could be ibr or it might not be. I would vaccinate em for ibr if you have not done so already. First however, I would take care of the pinkeye. Hit em with about 30 cc of LA-200 and hopefully that should do the job. Go by what the label says for proper dosage of the calves.

You sound a lot like somebody else, but it couldn't be... Kind of strange that you showed up just as he was banned for the 5th or 6th time, though.

Can;t be, no banamine or dex!

on topic . . . I'm having a lot of runny eyes myself. I have vaccinated for IBR. I've been hoping it was seed of some sort too, but I may have to get some medicinal help . . . . I'm considering something a little stronger though to go after it harder.

off topic . . . how do you get banned?

angus9259":1xyd6gly said:
off topic . . . how do you get banned?

By being a general ass. Stick around and baxter (or TMC or TurnMyJawLooseMaw or CattlemanFromOuterSpace or the half-dozen other names) will show you.

Being a jerk isn;t enough, there has to be more then that. Banning usaully stems from threats.

Well, this is one of the few times where I would recommend using LA200 or long acting Penicillin. You are not dealing with a life or death situation, and 9 times out of 10 either one of those drugs will take care of pinkeye.

As for what causes it, it can be passed on from direct contact, and I have heard that if an animal has had pinkeye, they can be carriers for up to a year afterward.

baxter78":zotniuvt said:
I am not TnMasterBeefProducer. You can also ask Knersie about that he can tell you. He can also tell you that TnMasterBeefProducer was not the same person as ttclm etc. TTCLM was carl ray. I can tell you that TnMasterBeefProducer's name is not Carl Ray. Knersie can advise you of this as well if you do not believe me.

I don't!!

baxter78":sjt70bdj said:
hopalong":sjt70bdj said:
baxter78":sjt70bdj said:
I am not TnMasterBeefProducer. You can also ask Knersie about that he can tell you. He can also tell you that TnMasterBeefProducer was not the same person as ttclm etc. TTCLM was carl ray. I can tell you that TnMasterBeefProducer's name is not Carl Ray. Knersie can advise you of this as well if you do not believe me.

I don't!!

Frankly I do not care what you believe. Your opinion means nothing to me. You mean nothing to me. You do not even deserve my contempt. Leave me alone. I am not TTCLM or TNMasterBeef or any of them other wild and whacky people that you claim I am.

:D :D :D :D :D yep right :D :D :D

Latest posts