Eye irritation in my bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was on one of these cattle boards and now I don't remember where I read this but maybe someone can help me out.
It was a post about Pinkeye or just eye irritation, someone had said they used "Today" mastitis cream and it cleared up the problem in a couple of days. Does anyone use this or know about it? Could someone tell me where to get this item at? Thanks, Kim :?:

Way of the Cross Farm":2rdpf9jd said:
I was on one of these cattle boards and now I don't remember where I read this but maybe someone can help me out.
It was a post about Pinkeye or just eye irritation, someone had said they used "Today" mastitis cream and it cleared up the problem in a couple of days. Does anyone use this or know about it? Could someone tell me where to get this item at? Thanks, Kim :?:

Local vet supply. Some feed stores carry medicines - time to get out the yellow pages and make some calls.

Lots of different medicines - ask them they can help.

We use it and we also inject Oxy LA if we are short on the cream. We have been known to use the purple spray as well - cannot remember the name but no matter.

Your supplier can help.

Catch it early and it is easy to fix. Delay and it can be a beach.

Regards,

Bez!

Yeah we use the blue mastitis cream, does wonders. If infection is real bad treat with the cream and then patch it to prevent it getting worse. Can't think of a time this has been unsuccessful for us.

We have been known to use the purple spray as well - cannot remember the name but no matter.
- - - Potassium Permanganate - a dark purple, crystalline compound - KMnO4 - used as an oxidizing agent, disinfectant, antiseptic cleansing solution.

DOC HARRIS

Killala":3bvj2i0j said:
Yeah we use the blue mastitis cream, does wonders. If infection is real bad treat with the cream and then patch it to prevent it getting worse. Can't think of a time this has been unsuccessful for us.

You actually catch them and then patch them?

Makes for an interesting time.

We squeeze them or throw them - ram some stuff into them and let 'em go.

Can't keep up to them all when they are on grass. They get better or they get shipped.

Bez!

[quote}Potassium Permanganate - a dark purple, crystalline compound - KMnO4 - used as an oxidizing agent, disinfectant, antiseptic cleansing solution.

DOC HARRIS[/quote]

No, it's gentian violet. KMnO4 would likely burn the yahoo out of the eye.....at least in every brand I've ever seen.[/quote]

Vicky the vet":3lreddre said:
[quote}Potassium Permanganate - a dark purple, crystalline compound - KMnO4 - used as an oxidizing agent, disinfectant, antiseptic cleansing solution.

DOC HARRIS

No, it's gentian violet. KMnO4 would likely burn the yahoo out of the eye.....at least in every brand I've ever seen.[/quote]Vicky- You are Right! Sheesh - I must not be SEEING correctly! As a crystalline compound - KMn04 would burn more than the yahoo out of the eye. Thanks for the correction! Gentian Violet is dye used as an antiseptic and also as a stain for studying microscopic cells!

DOC HARRIS

Bez!":1xtgrqt3 said:
Killala":1xtgrqt3 said:

You actually catch them and then patch them?

Makes for an interesting time.

We squeeze them or throw them - ram some stuff into them and let 'em go.

Can't keep up to them all when they are on grass. They get better or they get shipped.

Bez!

yeah we try to catch them if we can. if its calves usually just throw them.
i know the feeling when theyre on grass- remember doing 16 calves one day, just as we thought we'd got them all we'd find another one :roll:

Latest posts