Express Angus Bull Sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgurl1184

Reaction score
If any have been to it in past years can you pick up a decent bull for around 4000-5000...also does that brand help to sell calves whether commercial or reg. better?

cowgurl1184":207pxko9 said:
If any have been to it in past years can you pick up a decent bull for around 4000-5000...also does that brand help to sell calves whether commercial or reg. better?
Nope.

cowgurl1184":g7ls2p5z said:

Your reputation will do more for selling your calves than any bull you could ever buy for any price. It all starts with the cows. :D

I may be mistaken, but I believe Express ranches do help market their customers calves, such as buying them, or placing them into a lot somewhere. They may work with Lauras lean for the Limmi cross calves too. So to answer your question, I think it would help to have someone like this be your bull supplier, one more bidder can bring you alot of money.

You have a point BRG. However, with a good reputation and a little leg work you could place your own calves in a local or somewhat local lot for a premium. You don't need a $5,000 bull with a "brand" name. That said...such a bull could aide in developing your reputation if it is not yet strong enough to have buyers paying a premium. No bull will do it on his own though.

lakading":l37bu1wp said:
You have a point BRG. However, with a good reputation and a little leg work you could place your own calves in a local or somewhat local lot for a premium. You don't need a $5,000 bull with a "brand" name. That said...such a bull could aide in developing your reputation if it is not yet strong enough to have buyers paying a premium. No bull will do it on his own though.
Right you are lakading.Just the purchase price and where the bull came ffrom won't necessarily get the calves sold at anything their value. And Cowgurl1184 for $4000.00 to $5000.00 you better buy a he!l of a bull.

la4angus":2wcpic0r said:
lakading":2wcpic0r said:
Right you are lakading.Just the purchase price and where the bull came ffrom won't necessarily get the calves sold at anything their value. And Cowgurl1184 for $4000.00 to $5000.00 you better buy a he!l of a bull.

Your bull is nice L4. How much was your portion? Also do you subscribe to the theory of: Bull A will add 30 pounds wean to each calves mated to 25 cows per 4 yearsand you sell calves for
$1.20 per pound. 30 X 25 = 750 X 4 = 3000 X 1.2 = $3600

So the bull is worth 3600 dollars.

Scotty

To me that means he is worth $3,600 dollars of profit more than a bull that keeps your weaning weight average the same.

However, only a FOOL would pay the whole $3,600 toward the purchase of the bull. I'd say paying 25% of the added expected profit on top of what an average breeding bull is bringing would be fair.

i.e. - Avg. yearling bull going for 2xfat steer price would be approx. $2,400.

Add $900 (25% of $3,600) to that and you should be willing to pay $3,300 for that bull that is supposedly worth $3,600 in addition to the avg. price (which would be $6,000...YIKES!).

Remember, that extra $3,600 is FAR from gauranteed.

Scotty":39s2fbtb said:
]
Your bull is nice L4. How much was your portion? Also do you subscribe to the theory of: Bull A will add 30 pounds wean to each calves mated to 25 cows per 4 yearsand you sell calves for

Scotty
I don't disagree with you Scotty, but the fact that he is bred to over 6000 cows in 5 different countries in the last 2 yrs, plus the fact that there is about enough semen already sold to breed another 1000 cows in this coming breeding season should make him worth a little over $3600.00.

cowgurl1184":374oy552 said:

The last one was televised on RFD TV. I watched much of the Angus part. Yes, you could have bought a good Angus bull for $4-5,000 at their last sale. But you'll need to pay attention and buy the son of a proven bull, not one of their young herd sires.

Express sponsors sales for customers of their bull sales. I've been told they don't sell much better (if any) than regular sales, but in the past they've paid the commissions. So that would make a difference. They also have been working on a branded beef program and want to use beef produced by their customers.

Call them up and talk to them. I'd expect they have a website; take time to look it over.

As for registered calves, I've seen a judge walk by a group of heifers, stop, come back, and look again at the Express brand on a heifer's shoulder. She was the Grand Champion. She was a very nice black Limi heifer.

On the other hand, the OBI sale will be in March. You can probably find a better bull, maybe cheaper, there. Good luck...

la4angus":3nycd127 said:
Scotty":3nycd127 said:
]

Scotty
I don't disagree with you Scotty, but the fact that he is bred to over 6000 cows in 5 different countries in the last 2 yrs, plus the fact that there is about enough semen already sold to breed another 1000 cows in this coming breeding season should make him worth a little over $3600.00.

Oh no doubt he is. 1000 units a year (or more)@ 35 per. I think every one has a different way to put value on animals. Mine and probly most others is the make money method. My bulls look good to make money not for glammer. I also think you have to spend the money to make some. Or else we could all buy those POS 750 dollar cull bulls at the barn, which many do.

Scotty

Yea you will get a bull for $4000-$5000. But it wont be there best in the sale. I can tell you for that price you will get there lower end of the bulls but the will still be good. Not for the best on in the sale but for a really good one it going to be $10,000 plus. They have great cattle!!! It just cost so much to get something from them. If I had alot of money I would buy Angus Bulls from them or Gardner. For $4,000-$5,000 you will get a good bull because most all there cattle are really good but you wont leave with the best in the sale. Just my thoughts from seeing results in the sales and talking to the manager. I mite go and work there this summer.

Express Ranch has some awesome cattle. A bred heifer from their sale has won our Supreme Champion Heifer for like the last 4 years at our County fair. A local guy goes and buys a nice heifer every year for his daughter to show and then puts it in his herd. He is getting a nice herd for sure.

But if I was going there to spend $4,000.00 to buy one of their cheaper bulls. I think I would take my money and go to some less known sales and probably get a nicer bull for the $4,000.00 getting the best they have to offer.

Excuse me being cynical;

Just because you can buy whatever bulls you want and breed them to whatever cows that you want and have the greatest
set of numbers don't consititute a breeding program. It always amazes me how fast these cattle can be flipped over and forgotten.

15 years ago everybody had a Lonestar, MacKenzie, Dan Patch, and the list goes on. Where did they all go so quickly. We don't even see these cattle on the very bottom of the pedigrees. I would doubt that breeders up and shipped all these cattle once these pedigrees were considered taboo. Generations can be turned over quickly I agree and that is maybe what happened but how do we actually know these cattle rather than propagating the numbers to what looks right. Is fertility ever considered. I have spoken with a few managers of prominent AI studs and the comment continues that the "precision" cattle are not extremely fertile. Fertility is the first trait we need to think about or nothing else matters.

I have a different idea regarding cattle and pedigrees I believe that these pedigrees need to be clean and so on. That's my choice, that's what makes freedom great. If I was to try to sell semen on a bull with a dirty sheath I would get laughed out of the business, today it doesn't seem to matter. My previous comment about being sheep comes in here.

Am I missing the big picture somewhere?

I agree with you SEC on the fertility part. There are lots of breeders down in my area that simply wont use much Precision/Future Direction blood in their cowherd. One registered fella had about 40 Precision and Future Direction bulls, 28 of them semen tested bad.

I have alot of respect for some of these registered guys not to use these bloodlines. Although the bulls are very hot right now these guys dont want to ruin their customers herds with a lack of fertility.

Latest posts