explanation of terminology

Help Support CattleToday:

piccone

Reaction score
i'm a beginner. can someone tell me what YW, EPD, and the other important abbreviations stand for---thanks

piccone":1gvzt5t7 said:
i'm a beginner. can someone tell me what YW, EPD, and the other important abbreviations stand for---thanks

BW Birth Wt
WW Weaming Wt
YW Yearling Wt
M Milk
CE Calving Ease
EPD Expected Progeny Difference.

There are many more. Learn these few first. Normally they are most important in most peoples book.

la4angus":1ih0vnc2 said:
piccone":1ih0vnc2 said:

BW Birth Wt
WW Weaming Wt
YW Yearling Wt
M Milk
CE Calving Ease
EPD Expected Progeny Difference.

There are many more. Learn these few first. Normally they are most important in most peoples book.

If you check any of the breed organizations sites that use EPDs you'll find a thorugh explanation and also what the averages are for a given breed are. For BW 2.5 is a different weight variation from Angus to Hereford, or any of the other breeds. If you search this site you'll find a table dealing with "across breed EPDs". Also different breeds use different letters to indicate the same thing, but that usually pertains to calving ease and not the basic wieght EPDs.

dun

piccone":3ear6917 said:

Yes, those are all excellent examples, but as a bureaucrat I find CYA to be the most important - otherwise WW and EPD and all the others don't really matter.

Latest posts