Experimental Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
I got one selling Monday. Bought 2 today!!
I know I know. Experimental shorthorns you say?? What are they? Shorthorn/mini-highland/dexter cross???

They're old! And bred. The calves that came off of em were huge! I certainly hope they were bred back to the same bull. Story is they bred back late. To be expected...
On to the pictures and then I'm gonna do something I don't normally do!
The first pic is specifically for my friend in Kansas @TCRanch
20220416_150514.jpg
20220416_153149.jpg20220416_155343.jpg20220416_153134.jpg
And right to work for me...
20220416_155933.jpg
I'll update in a bit with what I said I don't normally do....

O yeah, they've got some frame on em as evidenced by the pic next to 2 of my "normal" cows.

Ok here it is.
I gave $606.28 each! (Cow are high ya'll, even the old ones)
I wormed em on the trailer and put a tag in one of em, so add $2 for the tag. $5 for wormer.
Add to that the $7 square bale they destroyed that I forgot to take out if the hay loft of the trailer. D'oh!!
Now, fuel ain't free.
I burned $25 bucks pretty easy hauling etc.
I just put out 3 big round bales even tho grass is coming on. Their share of that is about $24.50
I do not plan on putting any more hay out over there. There's 11 animals on 44 acres.
And I do not plan on doing anything to these 2 cows except wait for a calf and let them eat grass. And it'll be a surprise! Color, shape, size, breed whatever.
O yeah.
Some folks figure labor. Even tho I was at the sale barn anyway and needed to put out hay anyway, we will highball it and add an hour at $40??? Heck idk.

That puts me at $645.53 per head.
#42 weighs 1250lbs
#43 weighs 1085lbs

Feel free to cuss and discuss, especially if I've missed anything. Like I said, I've never posted numbers. I don't think.
I'd like to on this experiment in case some folks are thinking about doing something like this. It may work. It may not. That's why I'm starting at the beginning with total transparency. The goal is of coarse a live sellable calf, and a live slaughter cow in better shape Hopefully at the end! A win on both parts I think. As long as the cow stays alive and calves and raises it all will be well.

I'll update later of coarse! Good or bad!

Thanks for tuning in guys n gals!

Last edited:
I don't think you'll get 600# weaned calves from these girls, but hopefully they'll make you a few $
Agreed! Especially since I plan on selling them and their calves b4 I gotta start putting hay out again.
But we will see how that goes. Plans can always be modified. 🙂

Agreed! Especially since I plan on selling them and their calves b4 I gotta start putting hay out again.
But we will see how that goes. Plans can always be modified. 🙂
If you wean your calves when they reach 600#s, then you will get 600# weaning weights. Or what am I missing here, in these posts on threads the past few days about weaning weights?

If you wean your calves when they reach 600#s, then you will get 600# weaning weights. Or what am I missing here, in these posts on threads the past few days about weaning weights?
Right!! Got a bit sidetracked didn't I?
These 2 will be short term. I will let em grow the calves as long as grass holds out. And like I said, plans can be modified to feed hay for a month or two IF my regular hay thing works out.

I'd like my regular herd to make me some 550lb calves at weaning! In 7 months or less preferably.

@Buck Randall I reckon they got a little time to put some condition on b4 they calve.
Especially with the spring flush coming and me being slightly understocked over there.

Long term plan....
When these and the calves sell, I'd like to buy 2 NICE replacements! Should've added that to the original post. Trying not to let my expectations exceed my gratitude...

So you averaged about 55cents a pound for bred cows . That is hard to beat no matter what breed. My guess is if you put a couple hundred percent pounds on them before fall they would sell for around 80 cents for killer cows. Plus what ever the calves bring.
I think you have great potential to turn a profit.

I agree @Rmc
I've been wanting to try this for a while now. And thought it would serve as an educational kind of thing to folks who lurk and absorb information, and more importantly I hope it turns out well and gets some folks "in the cattle business"

The POTENTIAL is there. That also comes with RISK!
That risk being, the cows could die. They may not birth a live calf. Calf could die 2 months in.
And there's that ever present danger the market could crash about the time I'm ready to sell and make a dime!!!

I'm hoping for the best!

P.s. I liked bred cows better at 40 cents!

Any time you deal with cattle their will be risk. The question I always ask is the potential upside worth the potential risk.
To many times people are too quick to jump on the "you can't make money in cattle unless they are black" bandwagon.
Lots of different ways to make a profit in cattle and many of them don't include black hided cattle.

Absolutely no plans to keep these after this calf.

The experiment is to show that it can be done with very little input! No hay, no feed, no vet, etc...
These were worked in the trailer over the divider gate. Tho some sale barns will allow you to use their chute before you load them. Just ask!
For the folks who wants their acreage mowed and a couple cows to look at or whatever. These are old gentle cows. Not pets tho.

The results may or may not prove that, but it's gonna be an experience none the less.

Latest posts